Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Dealer Installing Wrong Oil

Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Clatrans243 has a spectacular aura aboutClatrans243 has a spectacular aura about

Army: Armor
Name: Bill
Clatrans243's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer Installing Wrong Oil

I recently took my 2010 Double Cab 4X4 to the dealer for its first oil change; they "gave" me 12 months free maintenance when I bought it. According to the service invoice, however, they put 5W20 oil in the 1GR-FE V6 engine instead of the recommended 5W30.

When I went back and asked the service advisor why they didn't install 5W30 oil as Toyota recommends, he said that they put 5W20 in everything because of "the climate"--in Albuquerque, New Mexico! We seldom drop below 10 or 15 degrees F in the winter here, and in the summer our temperatures regularly flirt with the century mark. In the southern part of the state, 100 degrees plus is a regular occurance.

One might suspect that using only one viscosity range of oil has less to do with the climate than it does with wanting to stock only one type of oil in bulk, but I am astonished at such blatant disregard for the manufacturer's recommendation for something as vital as engine oil on the part of an authorized dealer. The service representative did say that 5W30 would probably be available "from cases" (in bottles?) on request, but at additional cost.

I think my truck has seen its last oil change at this place, but I wonder if anybody else has encountered this sort of cavalier attitude toward engine oil viscosity from dealers. I also wonder how Toyota might feel about it. I have thought about shooting them a letter, but will they just stand up for the dealer?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
GSB is on a distinguished road
GSB's Tacoma Gallery
My dealer here in MD did the same exact thing. I was given the same reasons. I made them replace with 5w30. I was thinking of contacting Toyota also. Wonder what would happen if you had a warranty claim down the road and all your receipts showed the wrong oil being used?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
my 2009 recommends 5w20....i don't think it will make any difference if you use either one...both will work fine
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
my 2009 recommends 5w20....i don't think it will make any difference if you use either one...both will work fine
The 2.7 requires 5w20, the 4.0 requires 5w30.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
take off your glove and demand satisfaction. sounds like a lazy dealer
Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 "requires" either 0w-20 or 5w-20 (says on oil cap) and i think the v6 since labeled a "truck" (which it is) uses 5w-30. either way with colder weather people tend to go with lighter weight oils and during the hotter periods of the year resort to thicker oils
Old 01-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't think it'll matter...Shit, We put 15w40 in our company truck...They do just fine.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Kahunadave is a jewel in the roughKahunadave is a jewel in the roughKahunadave is a jewel in the roughKahunadave is a jewel in the rough
Marines: Harrier powerplants
Name: Dave
Kahunadave's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Kahunadave
I switched to 10w40 full synthetic around 60K, and it's been working fine so far...but here is some info i found on the Web that may help w/this discussion..

"" Multi viscosity oils are one of the great improvements in oils, but they should be chosen wisely. Always use a multi grade with the narrowest span of viscosity that is appropriate for the temperatures you are going to encounter. In the winter base your decision on the lowest temperature you will encounter, in the summer, the highest temperature you expect. The polymers can shear and burn forming deposits that can cause ring sticking and other problems. 10W-40 and 5W-30 require a lot of polymers(synthetics excluded) to achieve that range. This has caused problems in diesel engines, but fewer polymers are better for all engines. The wide viscosity range oils, in general, are more prone to viscosity and thermal breakdown due to the high polymer content. It is the oil that lubricates, not the additives. Oils that can do their job with the fewest additives are the best. ""
Old 01-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the time (it's quite long) read this. It's been posted before on TW and it's quite interesting.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php...tor_oil_basics
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I'm sure a dealer that does hundreds of oil changes a month don’t want to stock the correct oil type.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Be Happy, don't Worry.
No real difference and it might help with less wear in colder temps.

Yuma Taco,
Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
What is this I don't even
yotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the rough

yotaman90's Tacoma Gallery
Holy thread revival batman!

I have had my Tacoma serviced at the dealer in Albuquerque as well(I purchased it there), and I recently noticed on the service receipt that they had put in 5W-20 instead of the recommended 5W-30. This is only my trucks second service, so I dug up the first service receipt and they had put 5W-20 then as well! I live in Taos, and while it does get significantly colder here than in Albuquerque, It gets within a several degrees of the highs that Albuquerque experiences. So I guess I fail to understand how 5W-20 is a more acceptable oil in our environment than the required 5W-30. I know it's a small difference, but shouldn't the dealer heed the manufacturer's requirements?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't matter
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
初音ミク #1 Fan, and Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog Cook
Cadha13 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Cadha13's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Cadha13 Send a message via Skype™ to Cadha13
If you don't mind if I ask if it was American Toyota, or "Karl Malone" this happened at. The people at LHM seem to be good about the service of my parent's 05 Avalon and when I my Taco looked at for a set of keys.

ABQ right now is cold, but not as cold as it was 2 years ago. Yeah, they did not want to carry 2 different bulk oils. Also using the wrong viscosity could do some funny things to the VVT-i system in the long run. Also the oil might become too thin in the heat of New Mexico under or really just at normal driving anywhere. When it get's thin, metal contact and sludge happens.

I use Amsoil for it, and it's doing fine for my first winter of owning it.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
What is this I don't even
yotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the roughyotaman90 is a jewel in the rough

yotaman90's Tacoma Gallery
This was at "Karl Malone". The only reason I even have the stealership servicing my truck is because it's free for two years, otherwise I would be doing it myself. What really concerns me is the item you brought up; the oil thinning out too much in the heat. That and the fact that my engine makes a very specific ticking sound at a warm idle. I know somebody is going to say that I'm just imagining it and that all Toyota truck engines tick, but I swear that it didn't do it till after it's first service!