Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tacoma Fuel Economy

View Poll Results: What Engine + Mileage Does Your Tacoma Have (Average)?
4cyl <16 MPG 17 0.47%
4cyl 16-20 MPG 186 5.10%
4cyl 20-25 MPG 369 10.11%
4cyl >25 MPG 80 2.19%
V6 <16 MPG 411 11.26%
V6 16-20 MPG 2,121 58.11%
V6 20-25 MPG 448 12.27%
V6 >25 MPG 18 0.49%
Voters: 3650. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #201
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
Joined: Jun 2008, #7645
Location: College Station, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 717
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
I average 16-18 mixed driving.

I recently went to Austin; 20mpg average for that trip. I have a feeling it was higher before heading into Austin traffic. Between the traffic jams and hard acceleration my mpg numbers took a dive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #202
Junior Member
wiley is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2009, #14896
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
wiley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL697 View Post
My last tank was 21 mpg combined with the V6...
do you have the tornado ?
how many miles do you have on your taco?
what is your average speed...?
need to know how I am going to get better gas milage !
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #203
Senior Member
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Sep 2008, #9313
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 572
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley View Post
do you have the tornado ?
how many miles do you have on your taco?
what is your average speed...?
need to know how I am going to get better gas milage !
No tornado...

I have 1300 miles on my '09...

I live in the mountains (9500 feet), so most of my driving is in the 35-65 mph range, but I head down to Colorado Springs once or twice per week (city/stop and go)...

I don't accelerate hard, but don't drive like a grandma either...

I've been pleased so far... When I bought my truck, I was expecting 17-19...

I used to avg 20 mpg with my '05 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Longbed 4x4 Diesel that weighed 8000lbs...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #204
Junior Member
wiley is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2009, #14896
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
wiley's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL697 View Post
No tornado...

I have 1300 miles on my '09...

I live in the mountains (9500 feet), so most of my driving is in the 35-65 mph range, but I head down to Colorado Springs once or twice per week (city/stop and go)...

I don't accelerate hard, but don't drive like a grandma either...

I've been pleased so far... When I bought my truck, I was expecting 17-19...

I used to avg 20 mpg with my '05 Dodge 2500 QuadCab Longbed 4x4 Diesel that weighed 8000lbs...

I ve got about the same miles on my 09, I drive on pretty flat terrain.
I guess i am not shocked by the gas milage that I am getting, I am just trying to squeeze just a little bit more out of it...

I ve been reading and I guess that after the 5K mark our fuel milage is gonna get a little better....
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #205
Junior Member
PAZacc is on a distinguished road
Name: Zacc
Joined: Apr 2009, #15569
Location: Lakewood, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
PAZacc's Tacoma Gallery
'03 tacoma std v6 w/ 265 tires. I bought this truck used at 77k. I averaged 16.4 mpg for 3 tanks of 87 octane with about half of the miles highway and the other half city(I drive 4 time a week to school about 24 miles, and 20 of that highway). For $230 I purchased a K&N cold air intake and my gas mileage increased to 17.6 for two tanks of the same gas. Just about 2 weeks ago I had a shop install a 2.5" cat-back system with a magnaflow (5x8x14) for $300. Not as loud as 3" or with a flowmaster, which I prefer. These last two tanks of gas I averaged 18.8mpg. It's a little faster and gets a little better mpg. It also sounds cooler, except at certain RPMs (around 2800) when that darn air intake gets noisy(I'm sure the "heat guard" helps resonates sound). Anyways, thats my gas story.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #206
Senior Member
Dave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to all
 
Dave's Avatar
Coast Guard: Retired LE
Joined: Sep 2006, #3
Location: RI/Vt
Gender: Male
Posts: 145
Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZacc View Post
'03 tacoma std v6 w/ 265 tires. I bought this truck used at 77k. I averaged 16.4 mpg for 3 tanks of 87 octane with about half of the miles highway and the other half city(I drive 4 time a week to school about 24 miles, and 20 of that highway). For $230 I purchased a K&N cold air intake and my gas mileage increased to 17.6 for two tanks of the same gas. Just about 2 weeks ago I had a shop install a 2.5" cat-back system with a magnaflow (5x8x14) for $300. Not as loud as 3" or with a flowmaster, which I prefer. These last two tanks of gas I averaged 18.8mpg. It's a little faster and gets a little better mpg. It also sounds cooler, except at certain RPMs (around 2800) when that darn air intake gets noisy(I'm sure the "heat guard" helps resonates sound). Anyways, thats my gas story.
The payback just for the gas mileage doesn't seem worth it.

It would take a bit to figure it out but at first blush, that's the way it seems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #207
Junior Member
PAZacc is on a distinguished road
Name: Zacc
Joined: Apr 2009, #15569
Location: Lakewood, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
PAZacc's Tacoma Gallery
137.31 tanks of gas (at $2/gallon) or 38,979 mi (about two years for me). For me, it's worth it just for the bit of increased speed and a cool sound. I'm now addicted to mods as I've just purchased a TRD supercharger (I'll probably lose my mileage when I get this on).
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #208
Junior Member
wiley is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2009, #14896
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
wiley's Tacoma Gallery
I have the TRD sport package on my truck...should I not already have the TRD cold air intake?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #209
Senior Member
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Sep 2008, #9313
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 572
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley View Post
I have the TRD sport package on my truck...should I not already have the TRD cold air intake?
No...

Same intake as SR5, TRD Offroad , and TRD Sport...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #210
Senior Member
thomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Joined: Oct 2008, #10139
Location: central us
Gender: Male
Posts: 216
thomasr1950's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2440 miles on my 09 dbl cab, i averaged just over 19 mpg, this time. It's getting better now that the weather is warming up. Before it was getting just over 17, city/hwy. I'm pleased getting 19 considering what the Tacoma has to offer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #211
Senior Member
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
Joined: Sep 2008, #9313
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 572
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL697 View Post
My last tank was 21 mpg combined with the V6...
That was on 87...

Got 20 mpg combined on 91 this tank...

The weather was colder for the past week, though...

I'm still pleased, and filled up with 91 again since it was only $1.88/gal
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #212
Member
TacoTacoMan is on a distinguished road
Joined: Mar 2009, #14210
Location: SoCal
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 60
TacoTacoMan's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl here. The one time I've checked so far, I've gotten 20mpg. This was a good mix of city/hwy. I haven't voted yet because I'm right on the border, but I think I may be getting a lil less than 20mpg if it was more city.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #213
paquun
paquun is on a distinguished road
Joined: Oct 2008, #10361
Location: calexico ca
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
paquun's Tacoma Gallery
2007 taco trd sport, 4wd, 265/70-17, knn insert, 17mpg, hiway, 89 oct, sucks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #214
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
Joined: Jun 2008, #7645
Location: College Station, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 717
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Just tossed in an aFe Pro Dry-S OEM replacement air filter so hopefully my MPG goes up some. The throttle response has already improved but that's probably due to just having a new air filter in as the old one was pretty dirty.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 AM   #215
Senior Member
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
FoxySandChick's Avatar
Name: Kristin
Joined: Sep 2008, #9505
Location: Henderson, NV
Gender: Chick
Posts: 2,963
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I have a k&n and I'm just under 20k miles. I just got 19.8 mpg with 87 octane and about 90% of that was highway miles. I usually get about 17mpg. I've switched back to 91 and will see how I average with my daily driving 50/50 highway/city for a few tanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #216
Senior Member
m_yota will become famous soon enough
 
m_yota's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2008, #11050
Location: Paradise
Gender: Male
Posts: 282
m_yota's Tacoma Gallery
im getting bout 21-22.5 mpg w/ 91 octane, im not sure if that helps but good for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #217
Member
H2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant future
 
H2447INTX's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2009, #16308
Location: Angleton tx
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 54
H2447INTX's Tacoma Gallery
ok

im new to the tacoma but i have a 09 tacoma sport , prerunner, 4.0, 6cy! i just made it thew my first tank, i had about 1/8 tank left and i put 16.4 gal in it, mil was 272 +- one or two but any how that would put my MPG = 16.54 or so !?????//

kinda sucks but stil li have just over 300 miles on the truck !

when can i exp to get better mpg?

and if i did an air filter , and removed the charcole filter would that help! not looking to do to many mods , i am kinda over that stage in my life, but would a drop in airfilter help!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #218
Senior Member
flatlander will become famous soon enoughflatlander will become famous soon enough
 
flatlander's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2009, #14249
Gender: Male
Posts: 235
flatlander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2447INTX View Post
ok

im new to the tacoma but i have a 09 tacoma sport , prerunner, 4.0, 6cy! i just made it thew my first tank, i had about 1/8 tank left and i put 16.4 gal in it, mil was 272 +- one or two but any how that would put my MPG = 16.54 or so !?????//

kinda sucks but stil li have just over 300 miles on the truck !

when can i exp to get better mpg?

and if i did an air filter , and removed the charcole filter would that help! not looking to do to many mods , i am kinda over that stage in my life, but would a drop in airfilter help!
I bet you will see it get better. I remember my first few tanks, I was wtf! But it is getting better. From what I have read, it gets better until about 5k miles and then a little better but after about 6k it will plane out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #219
Senior Member
MassTaco has a spectacular aura aboutMassTaco has a spectacular aura about
 
MassTaco's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2009, #16384
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 177
MassTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I bet you will see it get better. I remember my first few tanks, I was wtf! But it is getting better. From what I have read, it gets better until about 5k miles and then a little better but after about 6k it will plane out.
That's great news for me, my first tank was 20 mpg on the dot in average rural / highway / little bit of city driving.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Tacoma getting a better fuel economy (from fueleconomy.gov) supralight 2nd Gen. Tacomas 42 07-12-2013 09:33 AM
Fuel Economy Help? FunWheelDrive 1st Gen. Tacomas 4 01-23-2009 03:52 PM
Fuel Economy tacobear 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 03-26-2008 09:03 PM
Fuel economy on 02 Tacoma - why is it going south foxxtrot Performance and Tuning 4 03-18-2008 09:34 PM
Fuel Economy callsign 2nd Gen. Tacomas 47 06-21-2007 09:12 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.