Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tacoma Fuel Economy

View Poll Results: What Engine + Mileage Does Your Tacoma Have (Average)?
4cyl <16 MPG 17 0.47%
4cyl 16-20 MPG 186 5.10%
4cyl 20-25 MPG 369 10.12%
4cyl >25 MPG 80 2.19%
V6 <16 MPG 410 11.25%
V6 16-20 MPG 2,118 58.11%
V6 20-25 MPG 447 12.26%
V6 >25 MPG 18 0.49%
Voters: 3645. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #241
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My one month old V6 auto is getting 17.25 mpg over it's first 5 tanks full.
Best 20.06 (last tank) worst 14.64 (second tank). I drive with the A/C on 90% of the time here. The two best tank fulls were freeway/mountain road driving with the latest one not being baby-ed (70~75 and having some fun in the tweesties with 5 adults onboard)
So far I'm very happy with the Taco's fuel ecomomy.

Yuma Taco,
Old 06-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #242
rich2774 is on a distinguished road
rich2774's Tacoma Gallery
fuel economy

When I first bought my truck back in Nov.08, I was getting around 12 mpg. Its been getting better ever since. Today I filled up and I caculated 16.5 mpg. I am very happy with that I guess it took a little milage to break in.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #243
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I've missed boat or I'm totally out to lunch, but if I was getting 16 mpg I would have to have a V8.
IMHO, Toyota has to figure out how to get more fuel efficiency out of these V6's.
I'd love to have the V6 power but I want to be in the 20's.
Toyota....get that V6 easily into the 20's and I'll buy one.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #244
john.308 is on a distinguished road
john.308's Tacoma Gallery
I usually get about 16 at best but this weekend i managed 20 after all freeway driving. 33's on my 4 banger isn't exactly the recipe for high mpg.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #245
efmugen will become famous soon enough

efmugen's Tacoma Gallery
Just filled up today, got 370 miles when the gas light turned on
Old 07-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #246
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Does Top Tier gas give better fuel economy or is it just the detergent standards that make it better?

I'm going on the road this week and am thinking about using premium, Top Tier from Shell, for better range. Not sure if the extra cost will offset the better fuel economy. Shell is the only Top Tier retailer in my area, that I know of.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #247
wbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shedwbhvacer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 46210 munitions system spec. F-4 phantom
wbhvacer's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.fuelfrog.com/users/wbhvacer/fuels/dashboard
My fuel frog 11 tanks of fuel

09 DC V6 4x2 5 speed auto
Old 07-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #248
thomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the rough
Army:
thomasr1950's Tacoma Gallery
I don't mind the mpg's, i love the power that my V-6 offers.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #249
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, be happy, this is pretty good. You can increase it up a mile or 2 per gallon with a bed cover. Without the cover I am getting 20-21 highway.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #250
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Nope, be happy, this is pretty good. You can increase it up a mile or 2 per gallon with a bed cover. Without the cover I am getting 20-21 highway.
http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...-economy-myth/

Maybe not...
Old 07-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #251
g8rtaco is on a distinguished road
g8rtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, Just took first road trip in my 05 taco, 4.0 v6...Got 16.3 on the way down to Florida. On way back aired up the tires to the max and got 19.6 all the way back to Tn. Average moving speed for the trip was 84 mph...This was with stock tires and truck lifted 3 inches..Hopefully will get tires in next month.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #252
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Just tossed in an aFe Pro Dry-S OEM replacement air filter so hopefully my MPG goes up some. The throttle response has already improved but that's probably due to just having a new air filter in as the old one was pretty dirty.

My mileage increased from about 19 on average to 19.9 exactly the past two tanks with the AFE pro dry. Every little bit helps. New exhaust I'm hoping will push me into the twenty's.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #253
PAZacc is on a distinguished road
Name: Zacc
PAZacc's Tacoma Gallery
B/f the supercharger: 18.8 mpg
w/supercharger: 18.1 mpg
w/supercharger and A/C on: 16.8
Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #254
JasonY is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
JasonY's Tacoma Gallery
Something is up with EPA testing and the Tacomas. According to this site:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...explained1.htm

Throughout the test, a hose is connected to the vehicle's tailpipe and collects the engine's exhaust. The amount of carbon present in what's spewed from the exhaust system is measured to calculate the amount of fuel burned. The EPA claims this is more accurate than using a fuel-gauge to physically measure the amount of gasoline being burned. Still, the final fuel economy figures are adjusted downward, by 10 percent for city driving and 22 percent in highway mileage, to help reflect the differences between what happens in a lab and out on an actual road.

Therefore, our Tacos should be getting real world mileage of AT LEAST what the EPA states (assuming we're careful and not lead-footing it all the time). The most careful among us should get 22% higher mileage than the stickers. Does anyone get that?

It seems the average is 20-20% LOWER than the sticker rating. What's up? Am I reading this right?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #255
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
The epa rating on my truck is 17 city, 22 hwy. I drive probably 60% hwy and I am getting 20-21 mpg. So in my case the epa rating is pretty close. My wife's 2007 Honda Civic has an epa rating of 25 city, 36 hwy. She averages 30 mpg in mixed driving and on a recent hwy trip to California she got 34 mpg. Again, pretty close to the epa numbers, but nowhere near close to the 30 city, 40 hwy that the original window sticker said (In 2008 the epa adjusted their tests to get more real world numbers).
Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #256
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
Something is up with EPA testing and the Tacomas. According to this site:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...explained1.htm

Throughout the test, a hose is connected to the vehicle's tailpipe and collects the engine's exhaust. The amount of carbon present in what's spewed from the exhaust system is measured to calculate the amount of fuel burned. The EPA claims this is more accurate than using a fuel-gauge to physically measure the amount of gasoline being burned. Still, the final fuel economy figures are adjusted downward, by 10 percent for city driving and 22 percent in highway mileage, to help reflect the differences between what happens in a lab and out on an actual road.

Therefore, our Tacos should be getting real world mileage of AT LEAST what the EPA states (assuming we're careful and not lead-footing it all the time). The most careful among us should get 22% higher mileage than the stickers. Does anyone get that?

It seems the average is 20-20% LOWER than the sticker rating. What's up? Am I reading this right?

My driving is 75% suburban city, 25% highway and I average ~21.5 mpg. I accelerate smoothly but steadily up to speed, use the cruise control on flat ground and coast to a stop whenever possible. When not using cruise control because of hills I do most of my acceleration downhill and settle for losing a few mph when going uphill. I tend to not run the A/C when the temp is 78-80ºF or lower (non-summer mornings on the way to work).

According to EPA numbers and my driving split I should be hitting ~18.5 mpg but instead I get 3 mpg over that or about 16% over the rating. Your +22% certainly sounds achievable... it's likely I could tweak my driving style a bit and up my mileage to 22.5 which would be 22% over EPA. But then I look at the difference... is $1.50 savings per tank worth me stressing during every moment of driving to eek every little bit of mileage out of a tank? Nah, I'm quite happy with what I've got with my normal driving... works for me!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #257
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I am about 15 tanks in and have not got better than 17. Th elast 5 tanks I have been using a new iphone app. I have averaged right at 16. I am almost at 5000 miles going to synth and we will see what goes on from there. I have tried all grades from 87 to 93 and have not seen a noticeable difference with any...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #258
JasonY's Tacoma Gallery
I use the GasCubby app for the iphone/ipod touch. What do you use?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #259
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
I use the GasCubby app for the iphone/ipod touch. What do you use?
i looked at gas cubby and it looks very cool. i downloaded the free trial to check it out and realized one thing. i would never have time @ the gas station to input all the info they ask for... that said.. see my link below for what i use
Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #260
JasonY's Tacoma Gallery
You can customize what you want to enter at stations. If you're in a hurry, all it really needs is mileage, price/gallon, and total gallons.