Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Tacoma Fuel Economy

View Poll Results: What Engine + Mileage Does Your Tacoma Have (Average)?
4cyl <16 MPG 17 0.47%
4cyl 16-20 MPG 186 5.10%
4cyl 20-25 MPG 369 10.11%
4cyl >25 MPG 80 2.19%
V6 <16 MPG 411 11.26%
V6 16-20 MPG 2,121 58.11%
V6 20-25 MPG 448 12.27%
V6 >25 MPG 18 0.49%
Voters: 3650. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #601
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackster View Post
6th gear - runs about 3500 RPM@65 PS Redneck...it is very possible that the Ecoboost engines by Ford will force the other major manufacturers to raise their own bars. It's still early to make any longterm statements about this new family of engines, but by the industry accounts, it is already gaining broader appreciation. We will have to wait and see.
I might have misunderstood the original comment. Was it being said that the ford EcoBoost make its way into the Tacoma or that Toyota make the own twin turbo v6. I will give the EcoBoost credit but I have never been a fan of ford and will never support having a ford engine in a Tacoma. That and I jut can't see Toyota doing that, it would be much easier to engineer a turbo package for the 4.0 than trying to package an EcoBoost in the Tacoma. I have seen the EcoBoost and it is not a small package at all, there's a reason it's in a full size truck. Granted most components can be downsized but why not start with existing Toyota products.

I do wish that Toyota would pursue the diesel option but I fear it will not get much better economy that the gas counterpart due to the fact the EPA has sandy vaginas about emissions. Today's diesel can be stupid efficient with modifications but the good ole gov won't allow it. The technology is there it's just not being put to use.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #602
Rackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to beholdRackster is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
Rackster's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for the confusion Chris. To your comment, my thoughts were that Toyota (or any manufacturer) could build an I4 engine that provided better performance (power and efficiency) similar to what Honda has done with their VTEC engines.

Here is a link to Wikipedia on the Ecoboost engines for those interested - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

One of the great things about innovation is that it generally fuels additional innovation. Competing manufacturers generally need to respond in order to maintain marketshare with the upside being that the consumers generally benefit as a result. I've owned three Ford products in the past: I liked them all and really the only domestic automanufacturer I would consider buying today. But presently, I have Honda and Toyota products in the driveway and enjoy them thoroughly.

Diesel engines in small trucks are used worldwide...just not so much here. I think that small changes in government regulation that would step up to the current level of present legislation would probably facilitate the introduction of the existing diesel technologies. Perhaps a 5 year plan. The diesel engines of today are leaps above where they were less than 10 years ago, so the compromise might make sense.

As for mixing makes...I guess that it always bothered me when hot rodders would take Chevy engines and fit them into Ford chassis. Of course, building up Chevy engines was faster and cheaper, so this helped to fuel some of the retrofitting. But I like keeping things pure myself.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #603
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
8-10 mpg regularly
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #604
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I'll keep track if my mpg changes afte the snorkel install. Was getting about 8 highway.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #605
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I'll keep track if my mpg changes afte the snorkel install. Was getting about 8 highway.
8 mpg highway? Can't get much worse?

Keep us posted, so few have a snorkels so one guy says they got 2 mpg improvement, and conventional wisdom believes the snorkel can improve mpg.

Studies show increased intake doesn't improve mpg with throttle overriding any increased potential on the intake side.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #606
moulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nicemoulin6801 is just really nice
moulin6801's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 trd sport crewcab long bed. 80% HWY, get 17mph. Average 75mph commute.
Not great...I think I will trade for the new Ram1500 v6 Pentamax... if the 4x4 crewcab give me at the leat 17mpg.... will see. Still unable to test drive one like that.
Did test drive the Hemi...fun but only 13mpg, , same way I drive my taco.
Cheers!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #607
06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed06 tacoma owner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Will
06 tacoma owner's Tacoma Gallery
I only get about 15-17 on highway and I average about 12 MPG.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #608
EG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of lightEG555 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Edgar
EG555's Tacoma Gallery
Filled up last night and got 17.2 MPG. 17.2Gallons.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #609
deez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Darren
deez's Tacoma Gallery
UltraGauge is showing an overall avg of 20.0-20.2 MPG for my 3.4L V6 5-Speed.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #610
willee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwillee51 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Ooooooo...

Checked again to day on a fillup, and got 18.1 mpg (this is about my average)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #611
WittyTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Greyson
WittyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Last fill up got 17.3, this is pretty much my average.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #612
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
so far with my 2012 Tacoma V6. I been getting 19/20
Old 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #613
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '06 V6 Prerunner and I use to get 18.5mpg in the city up until a year ago. Now I am lucky to get 17.5mpg. I haven't changed tires, so I know it's not that.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #614
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
I have a '06 V6 Prerunner and I use to get 18.5mpg in the city up until a year ago. Now I am lucky to get 17.5mpg. I haven't changed tires, so I know it's not that.
Ethanol.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #615
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian007Taco View Post
1mpg isn't much.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #616
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ethanol.
qft
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #617
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
With 3300 miles on the Tacoma, I just got my best tank at 20.1 mpg. Not too bad for a 50/50 mix on a V6. For some reason, my worst tank was right before that one at 18.1.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #618
jvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
jvswaim's Tacoma Gallery
Consistently get 24.8 to 25.5, which is making it hard to pull the trigger on a 2013 4WD.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #619
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

Name: David
byrd's Tacoma Gallery
'06 4.0L 6 speed
1st tank I started checking mileage on got 16.6 MPG
after 9 fill-ups and new plugs, clean MAF sensor, change all gear oil to synthetic I got 21.0 MPG on last tank. Current average is 18.5.

I was also was very conscious of when I shifted, i.e around 2000 RPM highest normally around 1500 RPM's, would skip gears when on the flats going for 6th with engine at 1000~1500 RPM's on flats about 35~40 mph. Didn't drive over 60 on highway. Anything above 65 gas mileage decreased fast with a 3.73 rear diff gearing. Normal driving for me is 50/50 city/highway.

So basically I can get 20+ MPG's if I continue with right foot mod and shift at low RPM's and skip gears along with staying under 65 on the highway. So I leave a little earlier for work and just piss people off by not gunning it at light change nor doing 75~80 on the highway. I don't care if I do piss them off, they don't pay for my gas.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #620
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery

With ifs and tranny skid plate, lca skids, sliders, rear plate bumper, and 265/75/16 Load c duratracs And a light foot with 75% city driving