1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accelerator Issue - Manual Tranny

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Rivman, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jan 27, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    Rivman

Rivman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Hi Guys

Need some advice. Toyota is useless to talk to on the phone. I have an 08 Tacoma 4x4 V6 with the 6 sp manual. Two questions (both are in light of the recent recalls for other Toys regarding accelerator issues):

1. This has been going on since day one. I don't know if its normal but its certainly annoying as it slows down shifts if you want em smooth. When the clutch is depressed, are your revs staying up for a second or so before dropping? Again, I don't know if its normal or maybe a 'lazy' pedal problem. I just find it hugely annoying.
    2. The second problem is far more sinster. Its only happened once (this last saturday) in the 2 years I have owned the truck. I was climbing a hill (towing). As I approached another vehicle, I took my foot completely off the accelerator and the truck actually accelerated for about 2 seconds. Just as I was going to apply the brakes, I heard an audible 'pop' from the pedal as if 'popping' back into place and the revs dropped down. Its not a cruise control issue because I didn't have CC on. I've driven standard transmissions for 35 years so its not me.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    The first problem of the rpm staying up between shifts was a topic here a few days ago. Last post I saw was its the computer to reduce emissions. Not sure I buy that. Since my throttle is controlled by a cable not the computer. Some of us have the issue some do not.

The second issue is more serious as you said. Since your truck is a second gen not sure if it is fly by wire or cable throttle like my 1st gen. I took my cable lose from the throttle body and made sure the throttle body was free moving. Hooked up a cable lube fitting I use on motorcycle cables and a can of cable lube and forced lube into the cable.

Here is a wild therory, You had the throttle down hard climbing the hill putting to much fuel into the engine. You let off the throttle and it accelerates while the excess fuel burns off:notsure:

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    Thats true , but the injectors are not; the computer will control mixture and run down to idle to control the emissions in some situations.

The "problem" described is one that most all will notice if you pay very close attention to the conditions inside and outside the engine when it tends to occure and then watch for it. How much of an effect you will notice will vary.

On my truck (same as OP, 2009) it is only noticable in the winter or when it is abnormally cold out.

It is the computer, working thru the Oxy sensors and the engine temp/outside temp and undoubtedly other factors, attempting to keep the cats from cooling down when the power is reduced quickly, in order to burn cleanly excess fuel in the exhaust that has accumulated due to the time lag between closing the throttle plate and the reduced need for fuel; when you are shifting, suddenly slowing and breaking, etc.

Typically it is transparent to the operator unless you just happen to throw in the clutch at the right trime to see it. You may also (and most likely do) notice it as a need to increase your breaking pressure in some situations. Auto trans will see it as a longer descceleration time then the operator ios gennerally used to.

My previous truck (Mazda b4000, big v6 (only made for 2 years) then derated) exhibited the same symptom but was MUCH more extreme.

Products Discussed in

To Top