Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Can you paint your chrome grill ?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
intense is on a distinguished road

Army: 82nd Airborne / Ranger
intense's Tacoma Gallery
Can you paint your chrome grill ?

I want to paint my chrome grill is this possible ? Paint and body man says no way to paint over the chrome part. Has anybody attempted this project ?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
x2^^^^^^just clean good and spray
Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Addicted to my DSLR
madisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Officer
madisonsfinest's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't it just plastic?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
this has been done 100's of times. Just gotta scuff it and TAKE YOUR TIME!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
Doesn't Krylon make a paint just for plastic? ....I think it's called "Fusion".
yup
Old 01-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Tacfroma
Rooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud of

Name: Jesse
Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine in the body color. You can get factory matched paint in rattle cans at automotivetouchup.com. Just knock the fuax chrome down to the plastic, spray on a couple light coats of adhesion promoter, prime, paint and clear coat. The color matched up really nicely, check out my build (link in signature below)
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
The grill itself is plastic, but the chrome is a metal overlay.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Tacfroma
Rooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud of

Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWro View Post
The grill itself is plastic, but the chrome is a metal overlay.
Dude if its metal its thinner than tinfoil. I knocked that shit down to black plastic with some scotch brite in about 2 minutes. Its fuax chrome, a lot of people end up painting it cause it flakes off. Me? I just painted it cause I can't stand chrome
Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
I just spent the last 3 days peeling the chrome off of my grill. Not as thin as tin foil, about the same thickness as the chrome on a bumper. There was no way scotch brite would have.taken the chrome on my grill off
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Tacfroma

Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWro View Post
I just spent the last 3 days peeling the chrome off of my grill. Not as thin as tin foil, about the same thickness as the chrome on a bumper. There was no way scotch brite would have.taken the chrome on my grill off
Hmm I don't know what to tell ya, it came right off on mine. Now that you mention it and I think about it I believe I did use sandpaper not scotch brite. Either way it only took a few minutes of prep work before I was shooting the adhesion promoter. Why did you decide to peel it off instead of using an abrasive?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
I used an old trick from back when i restored my 66 chevelle. I found that if you soke chrome plated items..like arm rest, radio bezel, dash pieces in water and TIDE detergent, it makes the plating come off easier. It did work to a degree, it was the small stubburn spots that required more detail. I too, hate chrome. I am a perfectionist and i will be painting it BSP to match my truck.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
NorCal Member
dk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to alldk6487 is a name known to all

Name: David
dk6487's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooty View Post
I did mine in the body color. You can get factory matched paint in rattle cans at automotivetouchup.com. Just knock the fuax chrome down to the plastic, spray on a couple light coats of adhesion promoter, prime, paint and clear coat. The color matched up really nicely, check out my build (link in signature below)
How many cans did it take to do the grill? Also does anyone have any ideas on how many cans it would take to do the bumper? I like chrome if it's on black but my truck is impulse red and I'd rather just match the color and paint the Toyota emblem black.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooty View Post
Dude if its metal its thinner than tinfoil. I knocked that shit down to black plastic with some scotch brite in about 2 minutes. Its fuax chrome, a lot of people end up painting it cause it flakes off. Me? I just painted it cause I can't stand chrome
It is chrome. Chrome plating is only .0005-.001" thick on plastic. On metal it's around .002 - .004.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #17
intense is on a distinguished road

Army: 82nd Airborne / Ranger
intense's Tacoma Gallery
Mission Accomplished

Painted grill and turned out great. 320 sandpaper, elbow grease, emblem poped right out for sanding, used Duplicolor Adhesion and Duplicolor Plastic and Emblem paint ( Black ). Spray bottle of water for sandpaper, thanks for the tutoring.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #18
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I painted my chrome grille. It took one can of paint. I need to re-paint it though since I got a little crazy with the color sanding. I should have put on more clear as well.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Well done. That looks great
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #20
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I hate chrome! I took my plastic chrome grille and marker lites off this weekend. Ordered black plastic grill for $64 and a black bumper for $58. I painted the Toyota Logo and the marker lights black where there was chrome.
It takes a lot of prep to paint the chrome and it chips pretty bad on the front due to bugs and rocks. So I am going to replace them with aftermarket replacements.
The back bumper I will probably paint. It wont see the bugs and rocks as bad
It costs more but I will only have to do it once.