Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

drive shaft zerks or joints...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
drive shaft zerks or joints...

hi guys,
can someone post pics where where I pump grease into these zerk or joints?
I don't know on how many do I have... i have a 09 model

I can't believe 30k miles is almost here... I just wish winter would go away so I can do my fluids changes and tune up myself!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think the driveshaft needs to be lubed on 2nd gen Tacos because there aren't any zerks.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
Its really easy to find them just look for any part that turns underneath and there may or may not be a fitting, some things dont require it because they are sealed and the grease inside will last the life of the vehicle I think there is almost 100 on our LAVs, it sucks when it comes time to do lubrications!

when pumping try not to pump so much that you break the seal and grease squeegies out the seal. it wont break anything immediately but you are allowing dirt to attract and posibly get inside. you want to give a few pumps until you hear the air start to pop and the STOP. Some people like to say that when grease comes out the seal that is how you know it is filled, but that is not good practice.

just give a few pumps, hear the air start to pop and you should be fine if you are doing this at prescribed intervals. If anyone else has some tips i'm all ears. this is just how we take care of our LAVS and how i take care of my taco.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
I don't think the driveshaft needs to be lubed on 2nd gen Tacos because there aren't any zerks.
Prerunners are sealed and 4x4s have zerks....

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
yeah I have a 4x4. I dont know how many are there on my trucks thou... if someone can provide a pic, I would know where to look then... thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...4-tacomas.html
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I used the Mobil 1 Synthetic grease. The Valvoline should be exactly the same. It will work.

Here are a few pics.

Note the grease spray on the under side of the cab.

This u-joint required 3 pumps of grease. You can see from the grease marks that a lot of the grease has sprayed out and it is in need of grease.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
when pumping try not to pump so much that you break the seal and grease squeegies out the seal. it wont break anything immediately but you are allowing dirt to attract and posibly get inside. you want to give a few pumps until you hear the air start to pop and the STOP. Some people like to say that when grease comes out the seal that is how you know it is filled, but that is not good practice.

just give a few pumps, hear the air start to pop and you should be fine if you are doing this at prescribed intervals. If anyone else has some tips i'm all ears. this is just how we take care of our LAVS and how i take care of my taco.
Thats good advice, I always pump in too much and cause a mess.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db67fm View Post
Thats good advice, I always pump in too much and cause a mess.
Thats what she said.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
good pics db67fm. remeber that if you pump too much at the start you will receive the same type of "excessive" splatter. after greasing drive around the block then get under the truck and wipe the excess off. it will help you gauge the amounts in the future better. I think you made a good start at a thread with a pic of every zerk. you should continue