1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having Headlight issues! Can't control bright or dim

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by luk8272, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Well as stated I am having issues with my headlights. Here goes, its a crap shoot to guess which setting the lights will be in. No matter where the selector is the brights can be on and I can't alternate between, the only thing I can do is turn them off and keep trying until the dims come on. Once the dims are on it is ok unless I try to flash them in which case it will then become brights and remain that way until I turn them off and on until I get the dims back. The indicator light inside to denote the brights are on is trying to light but doesn't always, sometimes it is half lit as in not all the way lighted but a dim blue. This can be while the dim setting is selected yet the lights are on bright. If I select to have the brights on via the steering wheel control the indicator will work properly, until I select dim where as the indicator will be a dull blue while the headlights are still bright. Give me some info!!!

I have a set of HID's from slim. Been having the setup for 1yr with no real issues. I did have 1 ballast go out, in which case slim took care of me. Now I have the new ballast on for about 3 days and this started less than an hour ago. Its cold rainy and dark out so I haven't checked any connections. But it isn't effected by bumps in the road. I was on a very smooth surface and the lights would flicker from bright to dim. Feel free to ask me questions to help you help me, I'm sure I may have left something out.

2. Jan 30, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Re-check your wiring from the new ballast installation. That's the most obvious place to start.

3. Jan 30, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have unhooked the whole thing and re installed it. Now the lights stay on bright even while the truck is off and my keys are in my pocket! Somehow it is drawing juice while the truck is off, with the lights in the off position. I was taking a break to get something to drink and think this over. All connections were solid looking to me and felt the same.

4. Jan 30, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Ok got that taken care of. The relay with the power wire on it had some how taken on water. I pulled it apart and dried everything and placed it higher up to ensure no water would get in it again, hopefully. When I say got water in it I mean rain water or water from the road because I haven't gone in any water near that deep ever with this truck.
    Now though when I have my lights on it interferes with my radio, wft? Any ideas on this? I haven't moved any of the wires, not since the day I ran the setup.

5. Jan 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bump for thoughts on why my headlights being on cause static on my radio?

6. Feb 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bumping for finding reason that lights being on cause static with radio?

Products Discussed in

To Top