Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ECU/ECM not communicating w/ OBDII testers

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Armchair is on a distinguished road
Armchair's Tacoma Gallery
ECU/ECM not communicating w/ OBDII testers

2001 V6 Double Cab
My ECU is not communicating when plugging into a OBDII scanner. It worked in 2004 at the emissions test station. Then in 2006 the emissions test station at 2 different locations could not read the ECU. I wiggled around that year and in 2008 the emissions could not read it again. I borrowed a ODBII scanner and could not communicate as well. I took it to a mechanic in 2008, and was suggested to replace the ECM, but never have. I found a diagram of the plug, but have not attempted to troubleshoot yet.

http://www.markofshame.com/fsm/03_Ta...zfe/preche.pdf

I just had the timing belt replaced at 126,000 miles and they still could not read it. The truck is running well.

Any common causes for not communicating?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
I see that problem on Euro-trash cars all the time, but never on a Toyota. I'd pull the connector down, and check for loose/broken wires within the housing.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Crowe is on a distinguished road
Crowe's Tacoma Gallery
i have same problem didiu fix it
Old 03-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Evenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvenflow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
Evenflow's Tacoma Gallery
There is an OBD fuse in the truck in a Gen2 it is under the hood, when the fuse is blown the port has no power and the port powers the scanner. Just replace the fuse and you are go to go... Just happened to me a few months ago too.

I did read that the power wire to the port can get broken which is also an easy fix if it still doesn't work after checking fuse simply #16 behind the plug and re run 12v power to it yourself.