Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Plastic Welding

Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
my coconut is on a distinguished road

Name: rick
my coconut's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic Welding

Recently i hit a deer and cracked my front bumper cover. i have access to a plastic welder at my work. There is about 6 different kinds of rod for it.
Does anyone know what kind of plastic the bumper is made of. I do know that it is thermo injection molded. But im not sure which rod to use.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals
Blumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlumpkinson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Blumpkinson's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm.. never knew there was such a thing. I just would have used 2 part plastic epoxy.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Ryan4888 is on a distinguished road
Name: ryan
Ryan4888's Tacoma Gallery
Usually auto body parts are made of ABS plastic. Search the back side of the part you want to weld and there should be some type of code. Like HDPE= High Density Polyethlyne...

You must use the same type of rod as the parent material or it wont work (or so ive heard).

I have personally welded ATV body parts and plastic boats (All made of HDPE) and the weld is just as strong as the parent material.

It really WORKS!!