Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2WD to 4WD conversion 08 taco

Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
2WD to 4WD conversion 08 taco

Hi gents!

I hope this is not a stupid question, but can you upgrade a '08 taco from 2wd to 4wd, if so, what would be the costs, the risks? is it worth it? what parts do you need, have anyone attempted this??
Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
anything can be done, but you should have chosen a 4x4 when you first bought the truck. The cost will be more than what you could have bought it at the dealer, and the assache will be off the charts.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks for the reply man, the thing is down in Mexico there is no 4wd Tacoma , we only have 2 versions, d cab sr5 prerunner, and d cab trd sport, and thats it......i love my taco but was just wondering about that.....
Old 04-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard that question a few times, hmmm maybe there is a market for people who can't get what they want, we'll call it black. he he
Old 04-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
the foreigner
06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold

06tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
thanks for the reply man, the thing is down in Mexico there is no 4wd Tacoma , we only have 2 versions, d cab sr5 prerunner, and d cab trd sport, and thats it......i love my taco but was just wondering about that.....
yes man, i'm from mexico too and the lack of the 4x4 option REALLY SUCKS!!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Why didn't you get the Hilux instead?
Old 04-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
the foreigner
06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold06tacomaprerunner is a splendid one to behold

well, maybe because is an ugly work truck and like the tacoma it only have 4x2 version.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, I think its time for a front SAS.

Lets see, SAS, Tcase, suspension tweaks, new driveshafts.....what am I missing...

Lots of time, real expensive....but you would end up with one spicy taco.

Dont talk bad about the hilux. That vehicle is a legend! I drive one up in Greenland (although it has 4x4). Fully boxed frame = Nice!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
the foreigner

i was not talkining bad about the hilux, i was just talkin the way it look comparing it with the tacoma, about it realibity and performance i have none but good comments.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
It can be done, but like others have said, it would be VERY expensive. And forget about any kind of warranty work from Toyota. Front suspension is different, T-case needs to be added, from drive shafts, 4WD ECU, wiring, switches, and more. I know you don't have the option, but it's seriously not far off the price of a new truck between parts and labor.

If you aren't able to buy a 4wd truck from the US then you probably can't get to any of the shops in the US that might be able to do it for you right? And where are you going to get parts? If there aren't any 4wd tacomas in Mexico then you probably can't go to a junkyard to get the parts. So that means trying to get them from a dealer since there aren't any kits you can buy to do (to my knowledge).
Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
It can be done, but like others have said, it would be VERY expensive. And forget about any kind of warranty work from Toyota. Front suspension is different, T-case needs to be added, from drive shafts, 4WD ECU, wiring, switches, and more. I know you don't have the option, but it's seriously not far off the price of a new truck between parts and labor.

If you aren't able to buy a 4wd truck from the US then you probably can't get to any of the shops in the US that might be able to do it for you right? And where are you going to get parts? If there aren't any 4wd tacomas in Mexico then you probably can't go to a junkyard to get the parts. So that means trying to get them from a dealer since there aren't any kits you can buy to do (to my knowledge).
Yea i know what you mean, i would probably get the parts in el paso tx, im about 3hrs from the border, but maybe ill wait until the warranty is over and/or maybe in that time there will be 4wd tacos down here se ill wait and see
Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yea i know what you mean, i would probably get the parts in el paso tx, im about 3hrs from the border, but maybe ill wait until the warranty is over and/or maybe in that time there will be 4wd tacos down here se ill wait and see
Could you just trade for a 4wd in el paso? Seems like that would be easier and cheaper in the long run. Not to mention it'll all be warrantied by Toyota.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Could you just trade for a 4wd in el paso? Seems like that would be easier and cheaper in the long run. Not to mention it'll all be warrantied by Toyota.
yea that cant be done, Mexican law allows particulars to import only vehicles 10yrs old, but anyways i love my taco as it is (true love lol) im enjoying it very much right now (only 10 days old) thanks for the reply man
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #15
Devout Atheist

Quote:
yea that cant be done, Mexican law allows particulars to import only vehicles 10yrs old, but anyways i love my taco as it is (true love lol) im enjoying it very much right now (only 10 days old) thanks for the reply man

I see. Do you have the locker? If not you could get an ARB air locker, winch, and one of those anchors to run the winch line too if you don't have a tree or whatever nearby. Either way it'll be cheaper and easier than converting to 4wd. I usually run in 2wd and lock if I need extra traction off roading. The 4wd just gives me better control in the snow and extra traction in mud. I usually keep 4wd as a recovery option if I bog down in 2wd so you could probably get around pretty well in 2wd locked.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #16

Arb air locker? sounds good I'm gonna Google it see what i can found, also the winch is a good idea, thanks!!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #18

Does that fit in an LSD?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #20
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
Oh man.....I think thats one of the mods I am going to do down the road, is replace my lsd with an arb locker....mmmm front and rear locking diffs....