Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Adjust clutch linkage or worn out clutch?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
McCrank is on a distinguished road
McCrank's Tacoma Gallery
Adjust clutch linkage or worn out clutch?

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Tacoma TRD 4x4 5-spd standard.

Every tacoma I've ever driven, including mine, has been a bit of a pain when it comes to shifting. I find the clutch has a very small zone in which it engages and disengages compared to a domestic truck.

I think I may have either been shifting poorly and been wrecking the clutch, or hopefully the linkage just needs to be adjusted.

Anyway these days, I feel like I need to slip the clutch too much to not have a jerky start. Even slipping is not always too successful and more often than not I have a jerk or two in my start.

I don't ever feel the engine pick up RPM without the truck accelerating, but I feel like maybe it has a more sluggish start?

Any help would be awesome. I live in North Vancouver Canada, and the nearest Dealer doesn't have the greatest reputation from what I've read. If possible I'd rather do the work myself.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
There really is no linkage to adjust - it's a hydraulic clutch. I would have either someone else drive it to see what they think or compare it to another Toyota and see what it feels like. It's hard to say what condition your clutch is in without experiencing it. If your only option is the dealer, you can always ask their opinion... you don't have to follow their advice unless you want to.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
You can't adjust the clutch pressure but you can adjust where the clutch engages or dissengages in the range of the pedal movement. The adjustment is between the pedal and the master cylinder. This adjustment lengthens and shortens the rod that pushes the piston in the master cyl.

If you put it in third or 4th at low speed and floor it and the engine does not rev up it just lugs the clutch is not bad.

Mine is an 04 4X4 5 speed and I find the clutch very hard to use smooth. I have had the truck 5 months and I am still getting used to the clutch.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
McCrank is on a distinguished road
McCrank's Tacoma Gallery
Ok thanks guys, I think I will wait a couple months until I had back home where I can see a trusted mechanic. I don't have any revving when I shouldn't, I just wish that the clutch would operate over a longer stroke. It's really too picky....but I love driving the truck past 1st gear.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...luped/insp.pdf

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...l/trou/pst.pdf