1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adjust clutch linkage or worn out clutch?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by McCrank, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Feb 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    McCrank

McCrank [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northern B.C.
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 4x4 w/elocker
    Cold Air Intake
    Hi all,

I have a 2004 Tacoma TRD 4x4 5-spd standard.

Every tacoma I've ever driven, including mine, has been a bit of a pain when it comes to shifting. I find the clutch has a very small zone in which it engages and disengages compared to a domestic truck.

I think I may have either been shifting poorly and been wrecking the clutch, or hopefully the linkage just needs to be adjusted.

Anyway these days, I feel like I need to slip the clutch too much to not have a jerky start. Even slipping is not always too successful and more often than not I have a jerk or two in my start.

I don't ever feel the engine pick up RPM without the truck accelerating, but I feel like maybe it has a more sluggish start?

Any help would be awesome. I live in North Vancouver Canada, and the nearest Dealer doesn't have the greatest reputation from what I've read. If possible I'd rather do the work myself.

2. Feb 16, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    There really is no linkage to adjust - it's a hydraulic clutch. I would have either someone else drive it to see what they think or compare it to another Toyota and see what it feels like. It's hard to say what condition your clutch is in without experiencing it. If your only option is the dealer, you can always ask their opinion... you don't have to follow their advice unless you want to.

3. Feb 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    You can't adjust the clutch pressure but you can adjust where the clutch engages or dissengages in the range of the pedal movement. The adjustment is between the pedal and the master cylinder. This adjustment lengthens and shortens the rod that pushes the piston in the master cyl.

If you put it in third or 4th at low speed and floor it and the engine does not rev up it just lugs the clutch is not bad.

Mine is an 04 4X4 5 speed and I find the clutch very hard to use smooth. I have had the truck 5 months and I am still getting used to the clutch.

4. Feb 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    McCrank

McCrank [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northern B.C.
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 4x4 w/elocker
    Cold Air Intake
    Ok thanks guys, I think I will wait a couple months until I had back home where I can see a trusted mechanic. I don't have any revving when I shouldn't, I just wish that the clutch would operate over a longer stroke. It's really too picky....but I love driving the truck past 1st gear.

5. Feb 25, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

Products Discussed in

To Top