Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Power Outlet "always on" mod ??

Old 04-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold

80 atoyot's Tacoma Gallery
Power Outlet "always on" mod ??

I am thinking of doing this mod because I really need the 12v power outlet to be on when I am out of the truck. I have lots of things that need charging.

Anyway I found very little info. I really need to know where that relay is then I can decide to jumper it or "mod" it.

Anyone know where it is ?

Any help is appreciated.

Oh yea,
I have an 08 access cab. V6
Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
nermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the rough
nermalgod's Tacoma Gallery
all my searches return the same question, but never an answer. Anyone?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
Original Forum Thread where I found the info about making the 12V power outlet and cig. lighter constant on.

The MS Word document that was linked there is now a dead link. I have made the document available HERE. There are pictures included and the file is 477 KB.

If you have an older Tacoma you can do this mod instead.

The above instructions were not created by me. To the best of my knowledge they were created by the user remelad of the Custom Tacos forum. While I have followed these instructions to modify the 12V power outlets in my 2007 Tacoma there is no warranty, guarantee, or any other assurance that the instructions linked to above are accurate. Any problems that they cause are the responsibility of the the person who chooses to follow them.

Some notes:

Some people have just opened the relay and 'fixed' it so that it never opens rather than use the jumper wire.

Be careful when you remove the strip below the steering wheel for access. The hood release catch it held in place by a plastic clip and can be broken easily if you let this piece hang by it.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
nermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the roughnermalgod is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Marvin.

That's exactly the information that I need.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Marvin.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
For the non-MS Office users I have converted the file into other formats.

Download Constant ON instructions as an MS Word File (.doc). - 477 KB

Download Constant ON instructions as an Open Office File (.odt). 508 KB

Download Constant ON instructions in Rich Text Format (.rtf). - 17,428 KB

To those who thanked me - you're welcome.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man for posting this up.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
I had a strange and almost tragic finding the other day after doing this mod. I was sitting in my truck on a cool day, but I smelled something hot. I was reaching for my cell phone which I throw in the little pocket in front of the 6spd shifter when my hand felt the dash was warm. The cigarette lighter wasn't pushed in, but it was in constant heat mode. Since then, I've watched it like a hawk and I've never had a problem again. I wonder how long that little plug could take heat before it started melting things and I wonder how long it had been heating. Anyway, it scared me bad. Now I want to buy a flip cover for that outlet like the power outlet next to it has so I can throw away the lighter.