Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

GPS power question

Old 04-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #1
motormanjh is on a distinguished road
motormanjh's Tacoma Gallery
GPS power question

I'm thinking about mounting my GPS off of the overhead garage door button that I don't use on my 2nd Gen Taco. Can I tap power for the GPS from the reader lights? I wouldn't think the GPS would draw much power. Has anyone tried this? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Another option perhaps??

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormanjh View Post
I'm thinking about mounting my GPS off of the overhead garage door button that I don't use on my 2nd Gen Taco. Can I tap power for the GPS from the reader lights? I wouldn't think the GPS would draw much power. Has anyone tried this? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Not sure about that. I mounted my radar detector flush under my mirror and ran the power cord up the small cable tray of the homelink mirror, then under the headboard, down the drivers side A pillar and ran it to the fuse block with an add a fuse. I did have to splice the power cord to extend it that far but it is all hidden behind the A pillar. I mounted my GPS just above my cd slot, drilled a small hole in the stereo faceplate and ran my power for it to the fuse block as well. You can't see the small hole because the GPS hides it. ( I also bought a factory radio with faceplate to replace it when/if I sell it) The GPS is not quite as noticible to potential thieves and it's nice not having all the wires visible and having both the cig lighter and power outlet free. Just a thought.