LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

engine noise

Old 04-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
centurion is on a distinguished road
centurion's Tacoma Gallery
engine noise

I just bought a used, 2006 Tacoma TRD sport double cab with the auto trans and 4.0 engine, and 38,000 miles. On start up i have noticed a chirping or squealing sound, it doesnt do it every time, but sometimes it is loud, once the engine fully warms up it goes away. Im thinking its the belt or one of the pulley's, what do you guys think? Has anyone else experienced this with the 4.0? Not too worried just dont want to let it go if it could potentially become a worse problem. Thanks for any and all replies....Frank
Old 04-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
well, these newer tacomas have an engine tick thats normal, but the squealing/chirping definitely sounds like a belt or pulley. you may want to have it diagnosed for peace of mind, or try some belt dressing(which will only hide the problem for a short time). with that many miles.....belt shouldnt be bad, but i have seen it happen. more than likely though, its probably a tensioner pulley that maybe got dry somehow.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Morpheus
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
When you hear the sound, pour some water on the belt. If the sound lessens then keep putting more water. If it stops, then you know its a belt problem.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Tacomaman

Thanks, thats what i thought, im a bowhunter also, just bought a Diamond Black Ice, what a great shooting bow! Cant wait for October, new bow, new truck, what more could i ask for? Except a 150 class 10 pointer!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Themaster

Thanks, i was told by my boss to pour soapy water on it, but he didnt say what that would do so i ignored him i'll give it a try and let you guys know.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurion View Post
Themaster

Thanks, i was told by my boss to pour soapy water on it, but he didnt say what that would do so i ignored him i'll give it a try and let you guys know.
Usually soapy water is used to find a leak, but it would probably work here too.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
I was thinking that the soapy water may condition the belt but it would eventually come back, if its just the belt im not worried its the pulleys that could be a concern, thanks.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Tacomaman

Thanks, thats what i thought, im a bowhunter also, just bought a Diamond Black Ice, what a great shooting bow! Cant wait for October, new bow, new truck, what more could i ask for? Except a 150 class 10 pointer!!!!
diamond makes some sweet shooters, thats for sure man!!! i have an older pse nova.........love that bow man. only shoots around 240/245 fps, but it does the intended job pretty nicely.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
PSE makes some pretty good bows, that X-force is unbelievable but im not a speed freak, just wanted a comfortable, smooth drawing, light and short bow and the Black Ice is that and more.Its birth certificate shows 294fps @ a 29 inch draw @ 70lbs IBO. Im shooting 27.5 inches and a 437gr arrow so its probably around 250fps, just fine for what i need.

By the way, poured some water on the belt and it stopped immediately, started to squeal a couple of seconds later, poured some more on it and it stopped, gotta be the belt. Thanks for the simple diagnostic trick, have a great one guys.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #10

Quote:
PSE makes some pretty good bows, that X-force is unbelievable but im not a speed freak, just wanted a comfortable, smooth drawing, light and short bow and the Black Ice is that and more.Its birth certificate shows 294fps @ a 29 inch draw @ 70lbs IBO. Im shooting 27.5 inches and a 437gr arrow so its probably around 250fps, just fine for what i need.

By the way, poured some water on the belt and it stopped immediately, started to squeal a couple of seconds later, poured some more on it and it stopped, gotta be the belt. Thanks for the simple diagnostic trick, have a great one guys.
good diagnosing man.

250 fps is all ya need anyway.........the super speed bows are just bragging rights anyway. i was thinking of getting a pse diablo, but my wife was thinking otherwise, so i'll stick with ole faithful for now.