Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rustproofing

Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
showmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud ofshowmeballer has much to be proud of

showmeballer's Tacoma Gallery
Rustproofing

I was wondering if you guys think it is necessary to get an aftermarket rustproofing job or is the factory job good enough. My vehicle is in the midwest = salt on the roads.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
rust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeballer View Post
I was wondering if you guys think it is necessary to get an aftermarket rustproofing job or is the factory job good enough. My vehicle is in the midwest = salt on the roads.
I live in BUFFALO NY....Salt is heavily used.I have a cookie cutter recomendation to anyone trying to rustproof there car. Buy a old school paint sprayer (not a HVLP model) and fill it with non det 30 wt motor oil...Watch the fire hazard areas (exhaust) spray the frame and suspension components annualy..I use a mix of PRO-Form black dripless oil and 30 weight to thin it out and soak away..Oh yeah, the pro-form black or noir as some call it is very thick and you can paint brush it inside our doors if you remove the panels..If you cant buy pro-form you could use just the oil...The key to rust prevention is the anual aproach..The shoot and give me 500.00 dollars for a warranty is BS. If you dont want the mess, find a place that sprays RUST-STOP oil bath...Its a anual system and it works. keep it off the rubber door gaskets as it drips though, it can deform them.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #3
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't rustproofed anything in over 25 years. And yes, I keep vehicles longer than 5 years - even 10 on an old exploder that never did. lol!

Here's a couple 3rd party opinions:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ject=negotiate

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...cember/08.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by showmeballer View Post
Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
danrbjr is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Mechanic
danrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
rust proofing

When I initially purchased my 08 I had the dealer do the rustproofing with the warranty. I live in NY and salt is a big concern. For me I paid the extra money for the peace of mind.. Just a side note: If you just do a weekly fresh water rinse you could go along way to preventing rust, some car washes have decent under carriage sprayers and hey, water is alot cheaper man.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation rustproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrbjr View Post
When I initially purchased my 08 I had the dealer do the rustproofing with the warranty. I live in NY and salt is a big concern. For me I paid the extra money for the peace of mind.. Just a side note: If you just do a weekly fresh water rinse you could go along way to preventing rust, some car washes have decent under carriage sprayers and hey, water is alot cheaper man.
The problem with washing a cars under belly is that you end up on the road with airborne salt and when the bottom is damp, it acts like a sponge, and basicaly becmes a pretzel!!!! I recomend oiling as a time tested method...also, penetrating grease is awesome, it creaps into crevices and stifens to a tenacious grease (castle endura is a great product)..fuel line and brake line is top priority here..then comes frame and suspension components followed by body panels and seams...I live in buffalo ny and we use SALT, lots and lots of salt, its almost a battle..so many people have a summer vehicle they keep nice from being out of the salt..The only way to prevent rust is to provide a barrier between the metal and the salt/water/oxygen etc...take a piece of clean bare metal and cover one half with any motor oil and leave the other half bare, leave it outside on your porch for the summer and reply to this thread in september...The proof will be there, in your hand...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
danrbjr is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Mechanic
danrbjr's Tacoma Gallery
the pretzel theory

Yeah I hear what your sayin about the underside getting damp. The penetrating oil is great as long as you don't get it on any rubber parts. And the fact is you can still spray your undercarriage with fresh water with that stuff because it DOES form a nice barrier. As far as your undercarriage getting wet what do you THINK happens to it on a snowy/slushy winter day?? I can tell you one thing it gets a little damp....