1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Machine new drums?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 97_tacoma, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mar 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    97_tacoma

97_tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    I just put new brake drums on the back of my 97 Tacoma. I replaced them because the old ones were warped. After test driving it, the truck still shakes when braking. I took it to a mechanic and they said the front rotors and back drums need to be machined. They said when the brake drums are stacked in the manufacturer's facility it can mess them up. Is it common practice to have to machine new brake drums? Thanks

2. Mar 5, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    not sure about the stacking, but from my experience if you feel the shake in the steering wheel and pedal its gonna be the fronts. Maybe you needed to do all 4 corners instead of just the back?

3. Mar 5, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    x2 if the shaking is in the steering wheel then its the front, if its in the seat (pretty much the whole car) its the rear drums. Good Luck

4. Mar 5, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    97_tacoma

97_tacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    I guess my next question is are Tacomas ruff on brakes. I ask this because I had my Tacoma for 15,000 miles and already replaced my front rotors once and now it needs to be machined also the drums went bad. The tire size is only 245/75/16 so I am not running a huge tire. Does anyone else go through brakes soo fast. Thanks

5. Mar 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Your style of driving can also affect how long breaks last. I have known a few speed racers that speed from light to light and almost every stop is a panic stop, they went through lots of rotors and drums, warped a lot of rotors.

Products Discussed in

To Top