Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rough Idle?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
BOLLINGERTACO is on a distinguished road
BOLLINGERTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Rough Idle?

iv got an 08 4.0L 4x4. every so often, once every day or two, i get a weird rough idle. not something that would make you think wow, something is wrong. but definetly noticeable. anyone else experience the same thing? iv got almost 5k miles and threw fresh Mobil 1 in at 3500. it seems a little rougher if iv got the a/c on. i just expected perfection from toyota...am i being too critical?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
415tacoma is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
415tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
ive noticed it when i turn my A/c on
Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior
crytesy is on a distinguished road
crytesy's Tacoma Gallery
same.....

I was actually looking to post the same observation. The idle is most definitely rougher than I expected for a Toyota......

I only notice it on occasion....it's not a steady issue.

Part of me is glad that others are experiencing the same issue....I know that it's a quirky Toyota issue.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Not that its rough....

But if I'm sitting somewhere (stop light, drive-thru or whatever), the truck ramps up to 650ish for like 10 seconds, then drops down to 540ish for a few seconds then back up, down, up, down.... (I have a scangauge and exhaust and can 'hear it').

I don't consider it anything wrong. Just weird.....no accessories on except maybe the heat/fans. And other times just turning fans on - it'll ramp up in rpm's.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
Rustystp is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Rustystp's Tacoma Gallery
Just had my 07 in the dealer for rough idle. It seems there is a problem with the cam timing position switch. They ordered me a new one. Hope this fixes the problem
Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
when i had my 06, and took out the secondary air filter.......my idle was smoother. most will say that removing the 2nd filter doesnt do anything, but i know for a fact that my idle seemed smoother.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
streetlightning is on a distinguished road

streetlightning's Tacoma Gallery
Cam Position Timing Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustystp View Post
Just had my 07 in the dealer for rough idle. It seems there is a problem with the cam timing position switch. They ordered me a new one. Hope this fixes the problem
Did they replace your cam position timing switch? I'm curious as the dealer can't find what's wrong with my 2011 Tacoma as its underpowered and idles rough. Its not throwing any codes so they don't know where to start looking.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
mine also seems to run a little rough at times, but i'm also over do for a spark plug change
Old 02-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Jonniebb is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
Jonniebb's Tacoma Gallery
I am curious about the cam timing switch. My 07 has idled rough for a while now. My mechanic noticed it when we were getting ready to replace plugs so I hoped the plugs would do it. No difference.

I just put new, more aggressive tires on and gas mileage has dipped. Wondered if it was all the tires or some efficiency issue coupled with the rough idle.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
mine has started doing this more often now. Its weird because half the time it is happening, I can turn my vent blower all the way up and the idle is a lot rougher and then I turn it down and it almost goes away. The other half the truck is idling weird, the vent blower has no effect on it.