1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just bought 06 tacoma with 65K....Maintenence ???'sss

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Workman, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Mar 9, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    Workman

Workman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    Just purchased this truck and ran across this forum...must say that I am glad to have found it and very happy with Toyota!!!

First off, I know that the prev. owner changed oil every 3K with full syn. Mobil 1. Dont know what else she did. I am going to drain my Diffs, transfer case very soon, (30,000 overdue. Is this a REAL bad thing?)

Next, I feel like the plugs need to come out. Is this also a Bad thing since they are 30,000 overdue? My oldman swears by not changing plugs for A LONG TIME, sometimes over 100K on newer cars and he has never had a problem. He thinks its because of the cleaner burning engines in modern cars. Is this BS?

Any advice on what I should be looking into doing at the 65K mark with possibly no past maintenence would be AWESOME!!!!

AWESOME!!! Cause I have never owned anything this nice, or expensive, and I really want to make this thing last...and I just dumped my bank account at it!
    Thanks for any info!!!:)

2. Mar 9, 2010 at 3:02 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    first welcome to TW.

if you do a search you can find a list of all suggested maintenance/services that should be done every 5k miles.

3. Mar 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

The plugs are easy to change, and there is a write up on it. THey need to be changed every 30k Miles.

4. Mar 9, 2010 at 3:17 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    Welcome to TW
    I just bought an 06 myself and love it, it had 71,000 miles and seemed to be very well kept. Don't know the history on my truck so I changed all fluids and spark plugs so I know everything is fresh
    your right on track, changing all fluids and grease u-joints
    change spark plugs [stick with the denso plugs] should be done every 30,000 miles, just read the sticky on changing its pretty easy
    check cabin filter [most don't know its there]
    P.S. don't forget to reset maint reqd light, it is essentially an oil change reminder that will start flashing at 4500 mi and stay on at 5000 mi

5. Mar 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies!!!!! I am kinda OCD so now that I have bought this expensive ride I am going to drive myself crazy trying to maintain it!!!!! On those plugs, I read the write up that chris4x4 did (by the way, top notch job chris!!!), and I have changed plugs before but never on anything this new, or pricey. I really hate to mess this job up along with my truck. Those clips that connect to the coil, what is the best way to remove them without breaking of the "snapper" on the clip. have done this before on a 92 ford and that didnt matter 2 me...on the new truck, I would be very pissed.

Also, do you guys think that I need to jump on all this right away? Would love to but winter is still in Wyoming and I'm just coming off a knee surgery and just started walking yesterday. Would love to enjoy the truck for a few but would HATE to think that I am damaging it by letting a few more thousand miles rack up:eek:

6. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    They come off easy. Just pinch with your fingers, and they pull off. I used a pair of needle nose pliers for the driver side front plug, as its too tight to get into with my hand.

7. Mar 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I just changed the trans. fluid and I have 62k.

8. Mar 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    How about the front disk brakes? Are those as basic to do as most vehicles? Have never changed brakes in anything past the year 2000 and am wondering if they are as simple as they used to be. I am thinking that I should change the plugs as well, just a little bit nervous about messing the job up. All the other plug changes I have done you could at least SEE the plugs, never had to use an extension to reach them and make sure Im not stripping them out, let alone have their own coil to remove!
    Guess Ive been stuck in the 80's early 90's for to long now. Its real intimidating to pop the hood on this truck, guess I have to get over that fear of not doing a job right on the most expensive thing I have ever bought. Hopefully the engineers built these new vehicles with longetivety in mind, otherwise this this is going to be expensive to take in for repair!!!!!

9. Mar 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    sparkystaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    just dive into them plugs following the directions and you'll find out that its not as intimidating as it sounds, actually pretty easy

10. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    Workman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, took another look at it today and it does not look that bad, only problem now is they dont sell the denso plugs within 90 miles! Will have to wait until I go to the next town and pick em up. Thanks for the advice, that write up is great.

11. Mar 10, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    FARNORCAL

FARNORCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma4x4 DC LB Silver TRD Sport
    SEE BUILD
  12. Mar 11, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    sparkystaco