Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

What would you do? Free oil change or DIY?

View Poll Results: What would you do?
2yrs of free Quaker State 9 39.13%
Purchase and DIY Mobile 1 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
What would you do? Free oil change or DIY?

Today I just passed my first 3000 and decided to take it into the dealership I bought it from to get my first free oil change. I got a 2yr free oil change deal from them. Anyway I asked if there was a way I could specify what oil to use, guy said "no we use quaker state, that a problem?" i sheepishly said no and let them do their thing. in hind site i would have liked to get mobile 1 from someone else, wouldn't even mind paying them or just doing it myself.

ANYWAY, what would you do? Stick to 2yrs of free quaker state or buying everything and doing it myself using mobile 1?

PS no harm in switching to full synthetic now right? i'm at 80k
Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
do it yourself. i trust my own maintenance, no one else's. unless they are helping me or i am actively watching.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

would it be worth it though? i guess that's my real question. would you rather get free conventional oil or pay for synthetic?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
djs05tacoma will become famous soon enough

djs05tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say just let them do it, but I drive about 25-30k a year so that would be a quite a few $$ over the course of 2 years that they would save me, unless they have a limited number of oil changes they'll throw in. If you change your mind you can always switch to M1 down the road.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I will never use Quaker State again. Ever.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco.Tim View Post
oooooook, did a quaker state truck run over your dog or something? Statements like that usually come with some information to substantiate them.

If you bring the truck in every 3k and they change the oil and filter no cash out of pocket and no issues then hell yea keep it up.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
if you decide to do it yourself, ask for a refund on the oil changes that you already paid for.

i for one, don't worry to much about dealer oil.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco.Tim View Post
My last Toyota went close to 350,000 miles useing nothing but Quaker State oil. When I sold the truck the engine was as strong as the day I bought it...never had one issue.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
Today I just passed my first 3000 and decided to take it into the dealership I bought it from to get my first free oil change. I got a 2yr free oil change deal from them. Anyway I asked if there was a way I could specify what oil to use, guy said "no we use quaker state, that a problem?" i sheepishly said no and let them do their thing. in hind site i would have liked to get mobile 1 from someone else, wouldn't even mind paying them or just doing it myself.

ANYWAY, what would you do? Stick to 2yrs of free quaker state or buying everything and doing it myself using mobile 1?

PS no harm in switching to full synthetic now right? i'm at 80k
How many miles do you put on the truck in a year? If that were me, it'd only be about 3 oil changes (or about 15,000 miles). So - it wouldn't be saving me much and I'd probably just DIY.

But on the other other hand..... you've got 80K miles on the truck, it's FREE, and saves you time from having to do it. Let them do it!!

Nothing wrong with using synthetic at 80K miles - however, you might notice oil seepage where you didn't have it before or maybe even burn oil. I had a 96 tacoma that I started using synthetics at 60K miles - the oil pan started seeping and I burned about 1/2 quart of oil every 4,000 miles.
So if you're concerned about that.... I'd just stick with conventional.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
javataco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
javataco's Tacoma Gallery
Free

Man how did you get that deal?! I would love to have that! I have 42,000 on my taco and I just bought it June 24th. I am looking at 70,000 miles per year that would be a nice savings!!
Old 03-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
How many miles do you put on the truck in a year? If that were me, it'd only be about 3 oil changes (or about 15,000 miles). So - it wouldn't be saving me much and I'd probably just DIY.

But on the other other hand..... you've got 80K miles on the truck, it's FREE, and saves you time from having to do it. Let them do it!!

Nothing wrong with using synthetic at 80K miles - however, you might notice oil seepage where you didn't have it before or maybe even burn oil. I had a 96 tacoma that I started using synthetics at 60K miles - the oil pan started seeping and I burned about 1/2 quart of oil every 4,000 miles.
So if you're concerned about that.... I'd just stick with conventional.
thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javataco View Post
Man how did you get that deal?! I would love to have that! I have 42,000 on my taco and I just bought it June 24th. I am looking at 70,000 miles per year that would be a nice savings!!
i also took em for a free 2nd master key also. i battled with them cause my truck was about 2 weeks late and it was purchased about 8hrs away from where we live...i could have picked it up myself but they wouldn't let me so i caused a scene and bam, free key and oil changes