LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Can I drill into the bed?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold

80 atoyot's Tacoma Gallery
Can I drill into the bed?

As you probably know, the bed is mostly plastic (or should I say constructed of a non-corrosive material).....

Anyway it has horizontal slots to lay a board across I guess to make like a second level.

My last truck had nice vertical slots about a foot back from the gate, where I inserted a board 2x10 to keep smaller things in place. The Taco does not vertical slots and also has those little storage compartments. SO here is my thought and see what you think..

I want to attach two slats (vertically) on both sides just forward of the storage doors. I would have to screw these into the bed body. The two slats will be about 1-1/2 inches apart so I can slide a board down and make that small area to hold little items, groceries, tackle boxes, bags etc...

So if you get what I mean let me know if I've been smoking crack or its something that is OK to do. Drill and screw or bolt into the bed.

Thanks.....80
Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
Cburt is on a distinguished road
Cburt's Tacoma Gallery
I would guess it's ok to drill out the bed if thats your thing.
I recommend the toyota bed divider. You can slide it anywhere you need it, even can use it as an air gate for better gas mileage if you wanted.
Kind of pricy, but well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
You can drill and attach things to it pretty much the same way you would to something fiberglass. Because the bed material is not very thick I wouldn't trust screws if you're putting much of a load on them. Additionally screws can easily strip the holes in thin composite so be careful to not over tighten them. If at all possible I'd bolt through the bed and back it with a large washer. From working on boats I tend to overbuild things because if something lets go on the water it's always going to be under the worst possible conditions.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
I second Roland's statements. Bolts and big fender washers for backing plates. With one added caution, be certain of what is behind the area you want to drill and make sure to use a drill stop. The last thing you want to have happen is to over shoot and wind up drilling through the sheet metal as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the factory front D-rings and drilling is required.
Just make sure you are drilling in an area free of wires etc.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Roland is a wise man, follow his lead.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold

80 atoyot's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good.

I noticed that the little storage boxes have screws all around, I can remove the box and see whats behind there. (hopefully),
Maybe even use the same forward holes to attach somthing vertical to hold the board. I was thinking something like a joist hanger from home cheapo.
Or at least along that line.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Roland, as my avitar shows I am also a boater, I love to tinker with stuff.
The thing i like to say about working on my boat is i need a second elbow halfway to my wrist!!!!!!! Truck is not quite so bad.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cburt View Post
I recommend the toyota bed divider.
I second that.
And if it's too pricey, I'm sure you could fab one from some exterior plywood, 2x4's and hardware; that attaches to the rail system.
But opinions are like AxxHoles...Everybody has one, but they're never the same!