1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can I drill into the bed?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 80 atoyot, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Apr 23, 2008 at 5:31 AM
    80 atoyot

80 atoyot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bahstan Mass
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab-SR5-Boat Tower....We are both getting old !!!
    Double DIN JVC Head unit with Ipod and Bluetooth, Plays video even while driving Shhhhh...Speaker replacement, 200 W Alpine Amp. Glove box twin 12V power outlets
    As you probably know, the bed is mostly plastic (or should I say constructed of a non-corrosive material).....

Anyway it has horizontal slots to lay a board across I guess to make like a second level.

My last truck had nice vertical slots about a foot back from the gate, where I inserted a board 2x10 to keep smaller things in place. The Taco does not vertical slots and also has those little storage compartments. SO here is my thought and see what you think..

I want to attach two slats (vertically) on both sides just forward of the storage doors. I would have to screw these into the bed body. The two slats will be about 1-1/2 inches apart so I can slide a board down and make that small area to hold little items, groceries, tackle boxes, bags etc...

So if you get what I mean let me know if I've been smoking crack or its something that is OK to do. Drill and screw or bolt into the bed.

Thanks.....80

2. Apr 23, 2008 at 5:53 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    I would guess it's ok to drill out the bed if thats your thing.
    I recommend the toyota bed divider. You can slide it anywhere you need it, even can use it as an air gate for better gas mileage if you wanted.
    Kind of pricy, but well worth the money in my opinion.

3. Apr 23, 2008 at 6:11 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    You can drill and attach things to it pretty much the same way you would to something fiberglass. Because the bed material is not very thick I wouldn't trust screws if you're putting much of a load on them. Additionally screws can easily strip the holes in thin composite so be careful to not over tighten them. If at all possible I'd bolt through the bed and back it with a large washer. From working on boats I tend to overbuild things because if something lets go on the water it's always going to be under the worst possible conditions.

Littletacotruck likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I second Roland's statements. Bolts and big fender washers for backing plates. With one added caution, be certain of what is behind the area you want to drill and make sure to use a drill stop. The last thing you want to have happen is to over shoot and wind up drilling through the sheet metal as well.

5. Apr 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    I installed the factory front D-rings and drilling is required.
    Just make sure you are drilling in an area free of wires etc.

6. Apr 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Roland is a wise man, follow his lead. :D

7. Apr 24, 2008 at 9:02 PM
    80 atoyot

80 atoyot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bahstan Mass
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab-SR5-Boat Tower....We are both getting old !!!
    Double DIN JVC Head unit with Ipod and Bluetooth, Plays video even while driving Shhhhh...Speaker replacement, 200 W Alpine Amp. Glove box twin 12V power outlets
    Sounds good.

I noticed that the little storage boxes have screws all around, I can remove the box and see whats behind there. (hopefully),
    Maybe even use the same forward holes to attach somthing vertical to hold the board. I was thinking something like a joist hanger from home cheapo.
    Or at least along that line.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Roland, as my avitar shows I am also a boater, I love to tinker with stuff.
    The thing i like to say about working on my boat is i need a second elbow halfway to my wrist!!!!!!!:D Truck is not quite so bad.

Littletacotruck likes this.
  8. Apr 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I second that.
    And if it's too pricey, I'm sure you could fab one from some exterior plywood, 2x4's and hardware; that attaches to the rail system.
    But opinions are like AxxHoles...Everybody has one, but they're never the same!

Products Discussed in

To Top