Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How do I flush my Power Steering at home?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
B-Field is on a distinguished road
Navy: Navy Diver
Name: Kyle
B-Field's Tacoma Gallery
How do I flush my Power Steering at home?

I have searched the site for a few days and have not been successful at finding a thread on how to flush my power steering. I have a 2001 Tacoma PreRunner and have 159,606 miles on it! I haven't done anything except change the Engine Oil, Transmission Fluid, and rear differential fluid. Not to mention a couple of brake changes.
I'm aiming to take a few days off of work to change all the belts water pump, any associated bearings that i should change too, and do the Steering fluid. I have not been able to find how to do the steering fluid. Could anyone direct me please?
B-Field
Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
ps flush

get 4 qts of fluid and a sucker gun or a mighty vac fluid sucker...get a funnel that fits your resvoir opening...start thentruck and warm up...lower level in revoir to almost empty but not starving the pump or it will foam....add new fluid to almost top and repeat for 2 qts...turn wheel lock to lock 3 or 4 times and repeat with remaining 2 qts...exchanges about 90% of fluid this way...if you do 5 or 6 qts you can achieve almost 100% exchange..PS fluid is always overlooked and like engine oil its working whenever the motor is running...It has hydraulic properties that become compromised over time and thermal cycling...KUDOS to you for recognizing this often over looked system!!!!!

I have a mighty vac 10 quart sucker I bought on line for 80 bucks, its priceless to me now and it doubles for pulling brake fluid through your bleeders..DOT 3 fluid should be changed every 3 yrs regardless of millege..It is also a rather overlooked fluid...You can even upgrade to dot 4 or dot 4 plus, higher boiling point and less fade but needs to be changed every 2 yrs..

I do PS / Brake / and frt & rear diffs every year...its overkill yes but rather inexpensive insurance...dont forget the t-case and manual trans oil either if it applies....
Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
B-Field is on a distinguished road
Navy: Navy Diver
Name: Kyle
B-Field's Tacoma Gallery
thank you. That was exactly what i was looking for! I'm going to go do it now. I suppose all of this will be a project that i will take on over the corse of a few day. No rush to get it all done. Just want to freshen up the truck.