Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

3.0 liter / 3.4 liter engine swap?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Piginabag is on a distinguished road
Piginabag's Tacoma Gallery
3.0 liter / 3.4 liter engine swap?

Here's my bad idea of the day: I have a beloved 2001 Tacoma - V6, 5-spd., 4X4, extracab, 170,000 mi. - that a punk in an Acura drove through the side of (shortly after I dropped the collision coverage from my insurance). Body mashed stem to stern, frame twisted, half the front suspension is in the bed - in layman's terms, it's totaled.

It's been sitting on a trailer in my driveway like a modern art sculpture while I figure out what to do with it. Now, I find a 1994 pickup - V6, 5-spd., 4X4, extracab, 180,000 mi. - in pristine condition, for sale very, very cheap because it has a blown 3.0.

So, the question is - 2001 3.4 into the hole where a 1994 3.0 was? If you think this sounds like a bad idea, I do too, and my wife really does - so you don't have to tell me that. If you have some real knowledge or experience with this, positive, neutral, or negative, I'd love to hear it. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
have you tried looking for an old 3.0?
Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
It shgouldnt be too hard, as you have a doner vehicle. THe engine mounts are different, but you can fab those up or have a shop do it. I think that would be the most difficult part. And welcome to TW!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
It's been done before. Check out Yotatech.com. There are a couple guys who have done write ups.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Piginabag is on a distinguished road
Piginabag's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you, guys. I've seen a radial engine from an WWII landing craft put in a motorcycle, and a Subaru-powered airplane - so nothing's impossible. It's the rating on the Pain In The Ass scale that I wonder about. And yes, I do have the complete donor truck, which helps a lot. But, having the ECU wiring loom cut apart and flipping back and forth between two wiring diagrams (let's see, red with yellow becomes brown with green, if that's the + to the MAF sensor...repeat 200 times) - done that; it's not cool.

That motor mount info is what I was looking for - and if I can't use the mounts from the 3.0 or the 3.4, it begs the question Why? Is the frame different? If it were a plug-n-play, there'd be no question. But, if I had the change the whole wiring harness & ECU, swap the transmission and transfer case because it doesn't bolt up, then fab all the mounts, exhaust, and drive shafts - just to end up with a truck with weird problems (you just know the engine would stall going uphill around a sharp corner, and the tach would run backwards, and it would never pass emissions again!) - I might as well drop my Detroit 4-53 into my 1955 Land Rover and have something really cool!

Thanks again, and thanks for the Yotatech reference - I'll check that out!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
In addition to multiple threads at YotaTech, I'd recommend checking this thread over at Pirate 4X4:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=137361