1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3.0 liter / 3.4 liter engine swap?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Piginabag, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Piginabag

Piginabag [OP] New Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma
    Frame twisted into a model of DNA
    Here's my bad idea of the day: I have a beloved 2001 Tacoma - V6, 5-spd., 4X4, extracab, 170,000 mi. - that a punk in an Acura drove through the side of (shortly after I dropped the collision coverage from my insurance). Body mashed stem to stern, frame twisted, half the front suspension is in the bed - in layman's terms, it's totaled.

It's been sitting on a trailer in my driveway like a modern art sculpture while I figure out what to do with it. Now, I find a 1994 pickup - V6, 5-spd., 4X4, extracab, 180,000 mi. - in pristine condition, for sale very, very cheap because it has a blown 3.0.

So, the question is - 2001 3.4 into the hole where a 1994 3.0 was? If you think this sounds like a bad idea, I do too, and my wife really does - so you don't have to tell me that. If you have some real knowledge or experience with this, positive, neutral, or negative, I'd love to hear it. Thank you!

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    BravesFan

BravesFan The MOST Badass Offroad Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Brentwood, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Super rock crawler
    have you tried looking for an old 3.0?

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It shgouldnt be too hard, as you have a doner vehicle. THe engine mounts are different, but you can fab those up or have a shop do it. I think that would be the most difficult part. And welcome to TW! :)

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    sounds like a fine idea to me :) take pics!

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    Project.paradigm

Project.paradigm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oil Country,Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4 Dub cab
    Airlift rear air bags. Hood struts. sockmonkey bedside decal. TRD supercharger(not installed). Deckplate. Grey wire mod. Extended rear diff breather. 6000k HIDS. 18"Magnaflow. Truxxx 3" level kit. (Temporary) Wet Okole seat covers. BoxRocket bed rack. Bora 0.75 wheel spacers All pro sliders. BAMF BPV. B&M trans cooler.
    It's been done before. Check out Yotatech.com. There are a couple guys who have done write ups.

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    Piginabag

Piginabag [OP] New Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma
    Frame twisted into a model of DNA
    Thank you, guys. I've seen a radial engine from an WWII landing craft put in a motorcycle, and a Subaru-powered airplane - so nothing's impossible. It's the rating on the Pain In The Ass scale that I wonder about. And yes, I do have the complete donor truck, which helps a lot. But, having the ECU wiring loom cut apart and flipping back and forth between two wiring diagrams (let's see, red with yellow becomes brown with green, if that's the + to the MAF sensor...repeat 200 times) - done that; it's not cool.

That motor mount info is what I was looking for - and if I can't use the mounts from the 3.0 or the 3.4, it begs the question Why? Is the frame different? If it were a plug-n-play, there'd be no question. But, if I had the change the whole wiring harness & ECU, swap the transmission and transfer case because it doesn't bolt up, then fab all the mounts, exhaust, and drive shafts - just to end up with a truck with weird problems (you just know the engine would stall going uphill around a sharp corner, and the tach would run backwards, and it would never pass emissions again!) - I might as well drop my Detroit 4-53 into my 1955 Land Rover and have something really cool!

Thanks again, and thanks for the Yotatech reference - I'll check that out!

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.

Products Discussed in

To Top