Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

mods, upgrades, improvements

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
zeal is on a distinguished road
zeal's Tacoma Gallery
Question mods, upgrades, improvements

I just purchased a 99 tacoma in mint condition. I never thought i'd ever own a toyota, but after driving it I'm hooked. What I'm wondering is what are some upgrades or mods that will increase the performance of this truck but are somewhat cost effective?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, asking for advice on mods is a Dangerous thing around here, hehe, you'll see.....Post some pics of your truck when you get the chance
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeal View Post
I just purchased a 99 tacoma in mint condition. I never thought i'd ever own a toyota, but after driving it I'm hooked. What I'm wondering is what are some upgrades or mods that will increase the performance of this truck but are somewhat cost effective?
Welcome to the site! And yeah, that's a dangerous question. Describe what areas you'd like to improve (on-road handling, off-road capability, engine power, creature comforts, chrome, etc.) and lots of people will be happy to help.

Always start with how you'll use your truck and build based on that.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! I'm glad you like your Taco.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
zeal's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy sorry

Sorry guys I should've been a little more specific. The truck is completly stock and basicly new with 80,000 miles. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get more power out of the motor, better fuel economy and suspension for going off road. Beings its summer and I'll be pulling my boat around. Now, I did see a some different things you can do online but frankly, I don't know if there's any truth to them. This is my first Toyota so any advice or feedback would be great.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry guys I should've been a little more specific. The truck is completly stock and basicly new with 80,000 miles. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get more power out of the motor, better fuel economy and suspension for going off road. Beings its summer and I'll be pulling my boat around. Now, I did see a some different things you can do online but frankly, I don't know if there's any truth to them. This is my first Toyota so any advice or feedback would be great.
Nice -- we've got a starting point! What things have you seen online that have caught your interest? Odds are good that somebody around here has tried just about everything available.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
centurion is on a distinguished road
centurion's Tacoma Gallery
Wait a second, let me get this straight, you want more power, better gas mileage, and you want to go off roadin? So basically you want to have your cake and eat it too Just bustin your chops, which motor do you have? 4 or 6 cylinder, do you want a couple of minor upgrades or real horsepower? What kind of wheelin do you want to do? Lift kit? or just some better tires? Like someone else said, this is a dangerous pursuit and potentially very expensive.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I never thought i'd ever own a toyota
Just outta curiosity, why?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
zeal's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

The truck has the 3.4 V6 in in it. I have been looking at some different types of air intakes, exhausts, even chiping it, but dont know what is the best choice or better yet works before I spend money on it. I would like to start out with the minor upgades and work my way up. The tacoma is already high off the ground, so I don't think I'll lift it. other then that I don't know.