1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard Starting Problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by alaska, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    alaska

alaska [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hannah
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Shortbed TRD Offroad
    I have an 09, it has had no serious problems but very, very occasionally it will be hard to start. No particular conditions, not when it's cold or hot or been sitting for a while or anything. It's completely random and happens maybe once a month or two. It will crank and crank until finally starting, sometimes it takes me a couple tries. I'm not going to bring it to the dealer for the problem because it's highly unlikely they'll be able to verify it, and of course I don't want anyone else's grubby hands on my truck...so I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced a problem like this.

2. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    My '05 randomly does it. It hasn't done it in a few months. But every now and then it'll turn over quite a bit more than normal, then it'll crank right up. I think there are a couple of threads on here somewhere about it.

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I am assuming the hard start occurs when you hop in your truck and stick the key in and turn it immediately. I would suggest getting in and putting the key in the ignition and waiting a few seconds before starting the truck.

This has happened to me a couple of times with my truck and a few times with my '08 Accord. It would take a second to read the chip in the key and if I tried to start it too fast the engine would crank and crank. I would say if it happens with some regularity I would take it in. Another thing that might work is place your spare key under the dash near the ignition. If your truck starts every time without issue then the problem would be solved.

4. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Take it in. There's a tsb for intermittent hard starting conditions...it's a re-flash of the computer, had it done on my truck.

5. Mar 23, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    No TSB on the '09 regarding a hard start. Like I said before if it consistently becomes an issue take it in to the dealer and at least make them aware of the situation if they don't have a course for correction.

6. Mar 23, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

7. Mar 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    Well mine did that a couple times and then just wouldn't start one day. had to get it towed to the dealer and they replaced the imobilizer computer, which is the thing that won't let it start without the computer chip in the key. Just a heads up. mine's fixed now. thank god for warranties.

Products Discussed in

To Top