Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

smoking on startup

Old 02-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
TacoTuesday is on a distinguished road
TacoTuesday's Tacoma Gallery
smoking on startup

My Tacoma has about 4k and it is puffing smoke when I start it like a 15 yr. old Chevy that needs valve seals. Does anyone else have this? What should I do? I guess I'll be going back to the dealer .......again.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa!!! that's not good did you check the oil? you need to have your taco checked out. ASAP let us know what was the trouble and post it on TW. it will help us other taco owners
Old 02-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
First what color is the smoke? Is it blueish colored or white smoke or just steam from warming up?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
blueish white

Smoke is blueish white and lasts about 3 seconds.

I am sick about my purchase. I thought I was getting one of the best trucks on the road. All I have gotten is one big headache and a lot of sleepless nights.

Not loving my Taco.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTuesday View Post
Smoke is blueish white and lasts about 3 seconds.

I am sick about my purchase. I thought I was getting one of the best trucks on the road. All I have gotten is one big headache and a lot of sleepless nights.

Not loving my Taco.
Not to worry. You are still under warranty. What you are experiencing is a component failure and not a engine problem to be concerned about. I cannot come up with the name of the component that has failed at this moment. It is a simple fix, so dont panic. Take it in and let Toyota deal with it. Not to worry.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
That sounds better

Did you have a similar issue? If you remember the name of the component please let me know. I am just affraid of head trouble.

Thanks for weighing in on this.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a similar problem on my wife's Dodge and the dealer sold me a $60 parts they wanted me to change (warranty expired) and the problem would go away. The part is in her vehicle but I'm to lazy to step out in the cold right now to check it out. Take your Taco in.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
Born to Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTuesday View Post
If you remember the name of the component please let me know. I am just affraid of head trouble.
TT,

Itís a PCV (Positive Crankcase Valve). The metal ball within may be stuck. I had the same problem of blue/white smoke on start up only and after replacing the valve, the problem went away as suggested by the dealer. There are other causes that generate white/blue smoke but your truck is way too new for that. Take it in.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
youshould be ableto pull the pcv valveand shake it should rattle if not it is bad
Old 02-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
Born to Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
youshould be ableto pull the pcv valveand shake it should rattle if not it is bad
I agree, but why? His truck is only a few months old and the dealer should check it out, don't you think?

Congrats on becoming a senior member.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm really curious as to what the problem is, let us know what it turns out to be.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your truck. I know you probably feel disappointed with Toyota right now but you do have to remember it is a machine and not every vehicle coming off the line can be 100%. There is a real possibility you got a lemon as rare as it is with Toyota.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
look at the bright side if you take it in 3 times they'll consider your vehicle a lemon and they'll replace it with a new one. so not to worry be patient with your taco.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
1ToughTaco is on a distinguished road

1ToughTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked my Taco again because I noticed smoke the other day and sure enough, there is smoke on start-up. It is white in color and smells of burnt oil. It lasts about 3 seconds give or take. I'm going to call the dealer and ask him about it.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
We had this same problem when we first got our Highlander. We had a free first oil change so we took it to the dealer to change the oil. Well a few days later at startup smoke would come out the exhaust, not everytime but every now and then. We took the thing back to the stealer and the dumbfucks overfilled the oil. Ever since then I change my own oil, those dipshit can't even do that right what a pathetic bunch LOL. I hope you've got the problem resolved.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003greenbean View Post
don't do this. They might try and blame it breaking on you. Just bring it in.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever figure out what was causing this?