Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

engine oil cooler and transmission cooler

Old 04-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
engine oil cooler and transmission cooler

I dont have the truck, looking to buy one....
does the engine oil cooler and transmission fluid cooler need to be change too after a while too?
More stuff needs to be done uh?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
does the engine oil cooler and transmission fluid cooler need to be change too after a while too?
Engine oil cooler and tranny fluid cooler are not stock items in the Tacoma, so nothing to change.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As I understand it on 2nd gen. trucks with the towing package just change proper fluids at the required intervals as both are incorperated into the main radiator already on the truck.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
Engine oil cooler and tranny fluid cooler are not stock items in the Tacoma, so nothing to change.
when u get the tow package, it would be a stock item.

I dont mind doing oil, transmission, and axle fluids. but I never I would need to change the cooler fluids... sounds like more work that needs to be done
Old 04-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
when u get the tow package, it would be a stock item.

I dont mind doing oil, transmission, and axle fluids. but I never I would need to change the cooler fluids... sounds like more work that needs to be done
On the newer generation trucks - The tow package gets you the transmission & oil coolers - atleast on the TRD sport. I have it.

The *coolers* don't have separate fluid - so there's nothing to change.

The engine oil is pumped through the cooler...and you change your engine oil regularly. I wouldn't worry about the 'residual' oil left in the cooler. It'll get cycled through with the new oil. Nothing to worry about.

Also...same goes for the transmission... the transmission fluid is pumped through the cooler. On the newer truck - the transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed till 100k miles (per the oem recomnedations).
Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #6

thanks!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
On the newer generation trucks - The tow package gets you the transmission & oil coolers - atleast on the TRD sport. I have it.

The *coolers* don't have separate fluid - so there's nothing to change.

The engine oil is pumped through the cooler...and you change your engine oil regularly. I wouldn't worry about the 'residual' oil left in the cooler. It'll get cycled through with the new oil. Nothing to worry about.
My bad....manual trans does not have an external cooler, only the autos.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
My bad....manual trans does not have an external cooler, only the autos.
The manual transmission only has the engine oil cooler, while the auto has both the engine and tranny cooler.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Johnny_knox69 is on a distinguished road
Johnny_knox69's Tacoma Gallery
Engine oil cooler

I am towing and need to get the Engine oil cooler and the trany. Where is it located on the towing tocomas?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_knox69 View Post
I am towing and need to get the Engine oil cooler and the trany. Where is it located on the towing tocomas?
Do you have the towing package? If not, you do not have one.