1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard Shifting

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Wolfshart79, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Mar 29, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    Wolfshart79

Wolfshart79 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 PreRunner SR5
    Hey all,
    First let me start by saying I'm not a mechanic but I am an electrician so I do know my way around tools in general if that is applicable. I have a 05' Prerunner V6 Auto that is shifting hard from start and lurching when shifting from park into drive and sometimes when I break. After doing some research I saw various fixes for this.

1. Grease the splines/U joints,
    2. Get an AAL or helper leaf,
    3. Have the Transmission TSB done.

Since I'm new to this not much of what I found makes much sense to me but I inferred the answers with a little digging. Am I on the right track and has anyone experienced anything like this so I may learn from it? Also if any of the above fixes would work could someone explain them with some more explanation? Thanks for the help if anyone can offer any...

P.S. I noticed my girlfriend had it in 4th when she picked me up the other day after driving on the freeway for about 70 miles. She said she didn’t realize and was driving at 75+ for awhile that way. Could that somehow be a cause to my problems? I got it used recently so I’m not 100% sure of its drive characteristics.

2. Mar 31, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    Wolfshart79

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 PreRunner SR5
    Nothing?...should I post in the 2nd gen general forum instead?

3. Mar 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    mostly likely axle wrap - tons of threads on here about it.

youre on the right track though. most likely caused by worn out leafs and or lack of maint. on the driveshaft. try greasing the driveshaft first, should help lessen the problem some.

4. Mar 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    Wolfshart79

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 PreRunner SR5
    Well I setup an appointment with the stealership to check on any TSBs I may have...the main one being the transmission TSB. Since I got my Taco used it is out of factory warranty and I'm not sure if the TSB is covered or not but I guess we will see. Failing that or if they want to rob me just to reflash my ECM then I'll try to look at what I can do with my driveshaft. Thanks for the encouragement though. If anyone else has any advice I would appreciate it!

Products Discussed in

To Top