Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

DTRL toggle switch

Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
DTRL toggle switch

I have always wanted to install a toggle switch to control the factory DTRL. There are times with stealth is required and having bright orange lights is counter productive. Let's not debate the merits of the DTRL system.

I have reviewed the factory wiring diagram for the 2007 Tacoma which should be the same for the 2009 models as well.

As best I can tell all I need to do is insert a switch between the body ECU and the signal flasher @ wire/pin #12 (Light Green & Red wire). According to my notes the 1M junction block wire harness is driver side lower finish panel.

Opinions?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 134-137.pdf (35.2 KB, 329 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
To answer my own question... Yes. I unplugged wire harness "1M" from the Body ECU. There are only three wires that are in the 12 wire harness.

Unplugging the harness disabled the front turn signals only.

Two of the wires, one for left turn signal and the other is for the right turn signal. The last wire, the red and green one is explicitly for the purpose of the DTRL signal.

I plan to install my switch in the coming days and post pictures. The hardest part of this mod is pretzeling my body under the dash to access the rear body ECU which for all intents and purposes is the other side of the fuse block (on the left driver side).
Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
ExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
ExpoSpy's Tacoma Gallery
Just wondering, have you been able to wire the switch? I am thinking of doing the same thing. Keep us posted!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
ExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
ExpoSpy's Tacoma Gallery
So I finally did the DTRL interrupter...pretty simple here is a picture of where I put the by-pass button. I absolutely love this mod!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:15 PM   #8
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Here is an idea, you can probably keep the shorts (marked *2 in the schematic), shorting 1M pins 1 and 2, and pins 11 and 12, then route the wires marked TFL and TFR through the firewall to the third plug on the front turn signals.

By just doing that, the second (Dim) filament will function as the DRL, while the first (Bright) filament will work just as if it is in a non DRL circuit, just a plain turn signal light.

If you are not using LED, then you will just get both filaments blinking when turn signal is on, for a super bright blinking light in front!

If you want the second filament to be off during turn signal, you can probably use the DRL line on relays to turn off TFL and TFR lines.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
the DRL flasher contains relays inside. I bet the DRL line will switch the TFL and TFR lines to connect to the LL and LR lines (essentially making the *2 short) when turn signal is on so the lights will blink. So those can probably just be disconnected so the second filament does not blink when turn signal is on. There should be no need to add another relay just to use the second filament (or switchback LED).

I think that is why this DRL toggle switch mod works, if there is no DRL signal, then the TFL and TFR lines are simply just connected to LL and LR (probably on normally closed contact of the relay)