Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Hello from Canada - need guidance with radiator issue

Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
House is on a distinguished road
House's Tacoma Gallery
Hello from Canada - need guidance with radiator issue

Long time lurker first time poster.

Love my truck. I've had her for about a month now. I'm at about 2,600 km. Like many others here, I've got the engine tick, brake shudder, acceleration / deceleration shudder, and the driveline clunk when stopping and taking off. I'm looking after this stuff.

But today, when I opened the hood to check the oil (that's right), I noticed crystalized rad fluid all over the radiator cap and hose, and there was some spray on other areas of the motor.

Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas what may cause that kind of pressure? Of course I'll talk to my dealer, but I want to do my homework first.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Hi House....Can't help you with the issue but welcome from NB.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously you're still under warrantee.....

Have you checked your overflow bottle level? Make sure you have enough in there... since you're losing fluid.

You can either take the truck immediately to the dealer and have them look at it..... Or.... You can clean up all the residue, check under the hood everyday and see if you can determine where its coming from.

Could be anything - loose hose clamp, bad radiator cap, anything....

Personally - I'd take it to the dealer myself. You've paid for that warrantee, now make them do the work.

Good Luck!
Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I completely agree with Janster. It's a new truck and it's not right. Head right back to the dealer with it.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
House's Tacoma Gallery
thanks

Thanks guys. I'm at the dealer on Tuesday for an oil change. I'll get them to take a look at it then. It looks like the leak may be coming from the clamp on the overflow hose - this is where the bulk of the solid coolant seems to be.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
no_werries will become famous soon enough

no_werries's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with rad fluid crystalizing around the cap and just down the neck of the resevoir, I noticed that it was about a half inch over the full line on the resevoir so I drained it down to the full line and havent had it happen since!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
House's Tacoma Gallery
I'll keep an eye on it

So I went to the dealer for the truck's first oil change. I'm running Mobile 1 5W30 with a Toyota filter (no M1 filters in stock). I was hesitant to switch to synthetic "early" (3000 kms), but it was going to get done eventually, so why not get it out of the way now. If there was break-in oil, it's at the bottom of the oil drum. The tech was pretty good. He took me into the bay and showed me how to drain the filter oil without getting oil all over the place. He also pointed out all the lube fittings.

And no, there was no consultation charge for the extra service (LOL...I checked).

As for the coolant issue originally posted, he cleaned the area and secured the overflow hose. He had no idea why it happened and told me to keep an eye on it. I can accept that....for now. Things happen.

Stay tuned for an update on de-badging and de-flapping. Hell, I may even add some speed holes.