1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reprogramming FOB

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Cdn98TacomaSR5, May 1, 2008.

1. May 1, 2008 at 8:04 PM
    Cdn98TacomaSR5

Cdn98TacomaSR5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma SR5 Special Edition
    Nadda, except mags
    Hello,
    When I bought my 98 Tacoma SR5 the other day I was given only one fob. I got another identical Toyota fob from a wrecking yard (with the customer service and social graces of a starving pitbull). I found the instructions online on how to program it but it won't work. I know the instructions are correct because I was successfully able to reprogram my locks and alarm chirp. Do I have to take the used fob to the Toyota dealer to get them to install something inside of it before I use the truck's ECU to reprogram it?

2. May 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM
    Cdn98TacomaSR5

Cdn98TacomaSR5 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma SR5 Special Edition
    Nadda, except mags
    I can answer my own question. I gave it another try to reprogram the fob and it worked this time. You have to push two buttons and it takes all of 8 seconds or less. For that the local dealer wanted me to make an appointment to bring the vehicle in, supposedly open up the fob, reprogram it and then charge me $30.00 plus tax. For 8 seconds of button pushing. Amazing. No wonder I never go to dealers.
    FYI-both the grey fobs and black ones work on a 98 Tacoma if the code on the back of the fob is FCC ID: BAB237131-022
    CANADA:2024 101 526

Products Discussed in

To Top