Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Transfer case Issues

Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
TDOGGY will become famous soon enoughTDOGGY will become famous soon enough

Name: Travis
TDOGGY's Tacoma Gallery
Transfer case Issues

ok so i hit Moab over the weekend. First time out there with my 05 Taco, I ran 4 hi for most the trail and hit some more technical spots that required 4 lo. My truck has 36,000 on it has been very well maintained, fluids and all have been checked and are all in order per the dealer. 4 lo wouldnt engage when i needed it, then when it did it wouldnt disengage for about an hour. That is after all the out of gear, reverse, level ground, shut off, battery disconnect, and all that jazz. Im used to manual 4x4, this sent me into a world of pissed off. So i finally after having a major wigg out just shut the truck down for 5 minutes and bam there she was. The truck was back in 2 wheel drive. What the hell? I got back into town and talked to a auto parts store, they say this is common and that Tacomas with electronic motors have solonoid sticking problems that the motor isnt strong enough to push or release the solonoid and shutting it down to equalize the pressure is the only remedy, minus making a conversion to manual.

Anyone have this problem any advice, or is my truck on the fritz????? Again Fluids are good, runs fine, no noise, the thing is solid as hell.
Attached Thumbnails
Transfer case Issues-dsc_0007.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Yep it's a piece of Shit design, the Stealership service manager even told me with a straight face that having to make multiple attempts to get 4Lo engaged or disengaged is perfectly normal.
They have worked on mine twice and although it is much better I can't count on it working when I may really need it.
For 30 years I was a Toyota 4X fan and never had anything but positive comments about them, I convinced a lot of my buddies to get into them but my 08 changed that, Toyota is nothing special too me any longer.
Sure wish they'd get back too what made them stand out in the offroad world when it came to dependability and reliability.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDOGGY View Post
ok so i hit Moab over the weekend. First time out there with my 05 Taco, I ran 4 hi for most the trail and hit some more technical spots that required 4 lo. My truck has 36,000 on it has been very well maintained, fluids and all have been checked and are all in order per the dealer. 4 lo wouldnt engage when i needed it, then when it did it wouldnt disengage for about an hour. That is after all the out of gear, reverse, level ground, shut off, battery disconnect, and all that jazz. Im used to manual 4x4, this sent me into a world of pissed off. So i finally after having a major wigg out just shut the truck down for 5 minutes and bam there she was. The truck was back in 2 wheel drive. What the hell? I got back into town and talked to a auto parts store, they say this is common and that Tacomas with electronic motors have solonoid sticking problems that the motor isnt strong enough to push or release the solonoid and shutting it down to equalize the pressure is the only remedy, minus making a conversion to manual.

Anyone have this problem any advice, or is my truck on the fritz????? Again Fluids are good, runs fine, no noise, the thing is solid as hell.
Unfortunately the only solution I think is to use it more. When I bought the truck first time I used had the same problem. Now It is much better but I do use 4x4 more often and use 4L from time to time just to lubricate
Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
I refuse to help you out of pure jealousy of you wheeling Moab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
So what exactly are you doing when you shift into 4lo, cause mine has never failed to shift when I am stopped put the truck in neutral and turned the knob from 4hi to 4lo. Engages first time every time in less than a second.
just kidding x2 on what ^he said. You seem to know your stuff but I don't want to ASSume.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
No problems with mine this first year, and I don't even bother with the 10 miles/month in 4x4. Popped in and out of 4Hi/4Lo with just a little cuddling (the occasional couple feet in reverse) every time I needed it this past winter.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
They should have kept the old school version with the manual 2h 4h 4l shifter.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Edit, i just say that you had a 6 speed. Those things really bring the suck. Your shifting issues are clutch related. It is damn near impossible to get the clutch depressed far enough to get the ECU to recognize the clutch in position and allow the case to shift.
ha, i missed that to. It's not too often that there's a manual double cab, I know they are out there I just don't see/hear about them much so apparently I did ASSume and didn't even know it.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude59 View Post
They should have kept the old school version with the manual 2h 4h 4l shifter.
Ya but mall crawlers had problems shifting into 4x4 since in left hand they hold iphone, in right hand starbucks coffee which was getting spilled when you pull the lever. Knob you can turn with out removing coffee from your hand ..
Plus soccer moms were confused by two sticks next to their legs
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
This thread is another argument for First Gen superiority................That is all.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Edit, i just say that you had a 6 speed. Those things really bring the suck. Your shifting issues are clutch related. It is damn near impossible to get the clutch depressed far enough to get the ECU to recognize the clutch in position and allow the case to shift.
^ This.

The transmission needs to be in neutral, you must be completely stopped, and the clutch must be to the floor to shift in and out of 4x4 low.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #11

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
This thread is another argument for First Gen superiority................That is all.
Yeah but first gens are getting crushed... and Toyota is making trucks for shopping in walmart.. So either way we are screwed. Only solution is to get 2006-2008 truck with out electronic traction help and putting manual things from Marlin. Thats what my plan is if that transfer case craps on me.

[/quote]
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Yeah but first gens are getting crushed... and Toyota is making trucks for shopping in walmart.. So either way we are screwed. Only solution is to get 2006-2008 truck with out electronic traction help and putting manual things from Marlin. Thats what my plan is if that transfer case craps on me.
Excellent plan................I like the way you think.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

[/quote]

I'd love to have a crawler box.
Uh oh 3 shifters total!
Might have to hire a driver!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
TDOGGY will become famous soon enoughTDOGGY will become famous soon enough

Name: Travis
TDOGGY's Tacoma Gallery
Peddle to the floor dead stopped and in nuetral is the way i rolled it. I did the stop, all of the latter then the reverse, the level ground, the anger of crawling underneath and smacking the transfer, all of it and nothing. it took a shut down 5 minute break with the truck completely off and a restart to get the damn thing to release.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #15

Marines:
Quote:
Like I said it is a clutch problem even though you have the clutch all the way down the ECU is not recognizing the clutch to be all the way down. You need to step on it like you're trying to push the pedal through the bottom of the firewall. You might be able to find the clutch position sensor and adjust it so that you don't have to do that but i have no idea where it is located.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/02900510.pdf
Old 04-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Not all Taco's are created equal. My 2009 shifted in and out of 4H and 4L no problem, even when brand new. My 2010 has had issues, (1 - 20 minutes and multiple tries in cold weather). Stealership replace the actuator, and it is still not fixed. Point being, those who comment that theirs works fine, it's not always the operator.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
Nowhereman04 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
Nowhereman04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya but mall crawlers had problems shifting into 4x4 since in left hand they hold iphone, in right hand starbucks coffee which was getting spilled when you pull the lever. Knob you can turn with out removing coffee from your hand ..
Plus soccer moms were confused by two sticks next to their legs
LMAO!!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #19

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthatahemi View Post
Not all Taco's are created equal. My 2009 shifted in and out of 4H and 4L no problem, even when brand new. My 2010 has had issues, (1 - 20 minutes and multiple tries in cold weather). Stealership replace the actuator, and it is still not fixed. Point being, those who comment that theirs works fine, it's not always the operator.
that sound liek it is binding somewhere. Is that only when shifting to 4H or to 4L
Is it still taking long time to shift...?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #20

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman04 View Post
LMAO!!!!!
Its true
Damn I am missing my 99 Taco.