Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

"Auto LSD" switch?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Question "Auto LSD" switch?

Ok, maybe this has been covered earlier, or maybe it sounds stupid, but since sometimes there is a lot of info on the threads, they get confuse for some of us who don't have the knowledge or experience... so here it goes:

My Tacoma has the TRD sport pkg and is a 2wd, which means i have the Limited slip differential, as im reading my owners manual, it says some models have an "Auto LSD" switch, which means you can turn off the auto LSD when you are in a situation like getting stuck in the mud or something.... so the questions are:

1. What models have this switch?
2. Is the switch purely an electrical thing or is it mechanic also?
3. If the switch is purely an electrical thing, can it be equipped in a Tacoma with LSD??

Thanks in advance

Note: Im not talking about the Locker Switch... i know my truck doesnt have a locker, but the manual notes the difference between the locker switch and the lsd switch
Old 05-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Ok, maybe this has been covered earlier, or maybe it sounds stupid, but since sometimes there is a lot of info on the threads, they get confuse for some of us who don't have the knowledge or experience... so here it goes:

My Tacoma has the TRD sport pkg and is a 2wd, which means i have the Limited slip differential, as im reading my owners manual, it says some models have an "Auto LSD" switch, which means you can turn off the auto LSD when you are in a situation like getting stuck in the mud or something.... so the questions are:

1. What models have this switch?
2. Is the switch purely an electrical thing or is it mechanic also?
3. If the switch is purely an electrical thing, can it be equipped in a Tacoma with LSD??

Thanks in advance

Note: Im not talking about the Locker Switch... i know my truck doesnt have a locker, but the manual notes the difference between the locker switch and the lsd switch
i dont have a switch for mine either....so i'm thinking it may be on the 4x4 sports b/c they still have the lsd on them as well as 4wd, which i dont think would work right if both were going at the same time
Old 05-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I believe it comes on trucks as traction control. I think any truck can have it. I doubt that it would be an easy option to add if you don't already have it.

I'm not sure of the exact functioning, but I think that it will tap the brakes on the wheels that have no traction.

I can't remember, but the government mandated that in 2008 or 2009 all vehicles had to come with some form of traction control.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks guys for your replies.....

any more feedback??
Old 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like something that works with the VSC.(basicly applies the brake to stop tire spin) The LSD in the tacos is a clutch pack type and only engages when one tire looses traction.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Sounds like something that works with the VSC.(basicly applies the brake to stop tire spin) The LSD in the tacos is a clutch pack type and only engages when one tire looses traction.
I can agree with that also.

I think the AUTO LSD traction control is operated by the braking and the VSC system.

Did the tacomas come with both the mechancal LSD & the Auto LSD in the same truck? I'm thinking it wouldn't come with both.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I can agree with that also.

I think the AUTO LSD traction control is operated by the braking and the VSC system.

Did the tacomas come with both the mechancal LSD & the Auto LSD in the same truck? I'm thinking it wouldn't come with both.
Yea you all are probably right... maybe has to do with the vsc and the auto lsd is simulated.....