Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

need help figuring out this button

Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Lizbiz is on a distinguished road
Lizbiz's Tacoma Gallery
need help figuring out this button

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with what this button is
suppose to do its the button by the left airconditioning vent? I also was wondering if it was only in the v6 model and the v6 4x4 only. Does that button apply to the 2004 toyota tacoma 4 cylinder automatic sr5 truck?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbiz View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with what this button is
suppose to do its the button by the left airconditioning vent? I also was wondering if it was only in the v6 model and the v6 4x4 only. Does that button apply to the 2004 toyota tacoma 4 cylinder automatic sr5 truck?

If I could actually see what's on the button I might be able to help.
I had a 2000 Taco, so memory is not serving me very well. What is printed on the button?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I can't read it in the picture..but does it say

"Clutch Start Cancel"???
doubt it. The picture shows an auto.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
That's your electronic trans control...basically the "power switch"-which is computer controlled to hold out each gear at a higher rpm before shifting into the next gear. Basically to pass, etc.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And just to let ya know, that other switch closer to the steering column and just to the right of the dash dimmer knob is your rear differential lockout which turns the rear end from a limited-slip to a posi...use only in loose dirt/mud/gravel
Old 05-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
And just to let ya know, that other switch closer to the steering column and just to the right of the dash dimmer knob is your rear differential lockout which turns the rear end from a limited-slip to a posi...use only in loose dirt/mud/gravel
Technically limited slip and posi are one in the same.
The button engages the e-locker, which makes your open diff to completely locked.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
If the button says ECT (electronically controlled transmission), then as said before, it's for a little xtra power when passing other vehicles. I'm not sure if it was available in the 4 cyl trucks.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #9

You're basically saying the same thing I did. My understanding of limited slip is when one wheel starts slipping LS reroutes power to the other wheel...wheras posi is power to both wheels all the time. So who's technical reference are you quoting here...GM labeled their LS as "positraction"-that doesn't make it true posi.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 99 4cyl, and it had that button.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #11

By the way my last post was in response to zmt's post
Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
By the way my last post was in response to zmt's post
I wondered, but figured that was the case.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #13

In that case I'm glad I clarified Toy!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
qgoulden is on a distinguished road
qgoulden's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question related to the ECT button. If I understand correctly, it helps the transmission shift more efficiently than it might normally. Is this close? I read that it will shift at lower RPM's and that it will lock out of overdrive until the engine is warm. With that being said (assuming it is accurate), is there any problem with leaving it on all the time? Also, does leaving it on affect gas mileage in any way? Any help/advice will be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.
[the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]
Vinny Gambini: Is that it?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest
Old 11-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by qgoulden View Post
I have a question related to the ECT button. If I understand correctly, it helps the transmission shift more efficiently than it might normally. Is this close? I read that it will shift at lower RPM's and that it will lock out of overdrive until the engine is warm. With that being said (assuming it is accurate), is there any problem with leaving it on all the time? Also, does leaving it on affect gas mileage in any way? Any help/advice will be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance.
Hi buddy like I said earlier, it holds each gear (under decent accelleration) to a higher RPM before it upshifts. Your tranny actually shifts more efficiently (as in fuel) with the ECT off because it then wants to shift to the next gear ASAP for economy. Try it yourself on the freeway. Youll notice in ECT mode the tranny tends to wind out the engine a bit more
Old 11-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
qgoulden is on a distinguished road
qgoulden's Tacoma Gallery
ECT button

Thanks for the info. One more question, is it best to engage/disengage the ECT power while the truck is in park, neutral, driving, etc. or does it even matter? Just curious. Thanks again...
Old 11-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by qgoulden View Post
Thanks for the info. One more question, is it best to engage/disengage the ECT power while the truck is in park, neutral, driving, etc. or does it even matter? Just curious. Thanks again...
Naw I think it's not a problem-but me being a quirky guy, I will engage mine at a stop rather than in motion. I personally dont use mine much because I like the shiftpoints the tranny uses when ETC is off. If I want more RPMs I'll work the overdrive button or cowboy the gears myself.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra69 View Post
I have engaged mine driving down the road,stopped, etc............never had a problem.
X2. It makes no difference weather or not you are moveing or parked when engaugeint the ECT .