Notices

Sloppy Loose Clutch Pedal...

Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Not Dead But Definitely Dying
FreeHeel is on a distinguished road
FreeHeel's Tacoma Gallery
Sloppy Loose Clutch Pedal...

The Truck: 2006 Tacoma, Reg Cab, 4 cyl, 5 spd, 30K miles

The Problem: The title pretty much sums it up. The clutch pedal has a good amount of "side to side" slop in it. In particular, it really wants to shift to the left during the first inch or so of depressing the pedal. I checked out all the nuts/bolts under there and they all appear to be tight. I'm wondering if possibly the bushings are in need of replacement where the pedal pivots on it's bracket??? You wouldn't think bushings would wear out after only 30K but who knows...

Found a video from another member on here that demonstrates my exact problem.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...t=MOV03125.flv

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know why, but the stupid pedal is plastic. My 09's first clutch pedal (I had a total of three), deformed a little where the piston met the pedal. This allowed enough slop that the fitting would turn in the back of the pedal. However, mine didn't get loose like that. Rather, it would turn, and then stick.

If I were you, I'd take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
nosnikta is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
nosnikta's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the exact same.
06' 4x4 AC 4.0L 6sp.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Not Dead But Definitely Dying
FreeHeel is on a distinguished road
FreeHeel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
deformed a little where the piston met the pedal. This allowed enough slop that the fitting would turn in the back of the pedal.
Thanks. I think I have the same issue. I can rotate the plastic "end piece" of the cylinder push rod at least 1/8 of a turn in each direction while it is seated in its hole in the back of the pedal. That being said, I didn't think the cylinder push rod was responsible for preventing side to side movement of the pedal. My guess was that the nut/bolt/bushings up higher on the pedal (where it connects to its bracket) would prevent side to side slop.

Am I correct in understanding that once you replaced the deformed pedal it stopped the side to side slop?

I'm well out of warranty with an '06 so I will be forced to tackle the problem myself.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Shifferbrains is on a distinguished road
Shifferbrains's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same thing on my '06 Reg. Cab.

I replaced the bushings and it made a huge improvement.

Also the pedal height was too high, and the clutch free-play was way off. The free play was about 2 inches. It should be about a half inch.

After making the adjustments, the pedal feels so much better. Barely any play now.