Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

too much oil

Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
House is on a distinguished road
House's Tacoma Gallery
too much oil

Had the oil changed today. The receipt from the dealer shows 6 units of synthetic. This seems like too much oil to me - I think the owners manual calls for 5.2 litres with filter. So I check the oil after the truck has been sitting for two hours (plenty of time to level) and the stick shows about a half an inch above full. Now, these dipsticks can be a pain in the ass to read, so I did it like 10 more times - all the same.

Before I go back to the dealer, can someone tell me if they've experienced the same?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by House View Post
Had the oil changed today. The receipt from the dealer shows 6 units of synthetic. This seems like too much oil to me - I think the owners manual calls for 5.2 litres with filter. So I check the oil after the truck has been sitting for two hours (plenty of time to level) and the stick shows about a half an inch above full. Now, these dipsticks can be a pain in the ass to read, so I did it like 10 more times - all the same.

Before I go back to the dealer, can someone tell me if they've experienced the same?
well, depending on if you have the bigger filter or not, you can run 6 quarts with out any problems. i usually put 5.5 quarts in mine,with a mobil1 m1-102 filter, and its usually pretty close. alot of people are using 6 quarts though, without any problems.

and you are correct....the dipstick sucks man!! you may want to sand it a bit.....give the oil something to stick to.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
How will sanding the dipstick help? My oil is so clean I can't tell either!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
sanding it will just give it a better surface for the oil to sit on when the truck has been sitting for a little while.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
sanding it will just give it a better surface for the oil to sit on when the truck has been sitting for a little while.
or score it w/ a knife o===============xxxxxxxxx==>
Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDeSoup View Post
or score it w/ a knife o===============xxxxxxxxx==>
that'll work too.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
I too have difficulty reading the dip stick. My wife's 1995 Rav 4 has a great dip stick with cross hatches, making it very easy to read.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Take it back to the dealer with your manual. Show them the dipstik reading. Ask them why they overfilled it. 1/2'' on a dipstick is getting into dangerous territory because at a certain point the crank as it's spinning will cause air bubbles in the oil which can adversely affect lubrcation and damage engine parts. I'm speaking directly from experience
Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 AM   #9
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
Dremel tool and a sanding bit and rough it up between the low and high marks. So much easier to see. That's a mod right?