Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

bosch distance plus oil filter

Old 04-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
bosch distance plus oil filter

anyone use this new filter from bosch on tacoma!

they are heavy... but they sell for like $13.50 on advance auto parts...

cheaper on amazon...

worth it?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth it to me. I would just stick to a OEM filter.

Only thing these high dollar filters do is lighten your wallet.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

I dont mind spending the money if it has longer intervals for the winter...
i hate changing oil in the freezing cold...
Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one in my truck now, paid $13.50 at Advance Auto. I also bought a Mobil 1 M1-209 oversize filter for my next change. The Bosch claims double capacity over other filters, but I'm assuming that's across the same size filter. I figure an oversize will have increased capacity over the standard filters.

It'd be interesting to see someone hack one up!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
VTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
VTDave's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I've noticed is that the OEM (meaning: Bosch, Mann) oil filters are enormous for European cars where an extended drain interval is specified, e.g., 10k-20k miles. I guess the thinking is that you need tons of surface area to filter out 20k worth of crap.

If I were to leave a filter on the Tacoma for 10k (which I'm not planning to do), I'd want it to be one biga$$ filter.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
I've got one in my truck now, paid $13.50 at Advance Auto. I also bought a Mobil 1 M1-209 oversize filter for my next change. The Bosch claims double capacity over other filters, but I'm assuming that's across the same size filter. I figure an oversize will have increased capacity over the standard filters.

It'd be interesting to see someone hack one up!
I have the puralator oversize pureone on my truck now
its a HUGE filter.

the bosch distance plus was heavy... It heavier than than the puralator pureone.... does heavy mean something good???

I have the OEM oil filter that I order thru a VA toyota dealer that was MADE in japan... they were expensive too and they are SUPER hard to get!

I would like to cut one up but they are too expensive to cut thou...

so how's the bosch? any difference??
Old 04-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDave View Post
One thing I've noticed is that the OEM (meaning: Bosch, Mann) oil filters are enormous for European cars where an extended drain interval is specified, e.g., 10k-20k miles. I guess the thinking is that you need tons of surface area to filter out 20k worth of crap.

If I were to leave a filter on the Tacoma for 10k (which I'm not planning to do), I'd want it to be one biga$$ filter.
Many of the European cars run a way higher PSI ratings in their engines than American and Japanese engines. They also have higher spec call outs for their oils and usually require synthetics to meet those specs. That is why they run the longer OCI's on average.

Also, to those running oversize and non Toyota filters. If you have a filter failure and damage occurs while in warranty, Toyota is going to refer you to the filter maker for restitution on repairs. The filter maker can also deny liability if you use a filter that is not cataloged to your specific make and model.

Toyota trucks by and large have bigger than average oil capacities and oversize filters really do not give you much if anything in terms return on your extra expense.