Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Change oil when warm or cold?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Buffalofan is on a distinguished road

Buffalofan's Tacoma Gallery
Change oil when warm or cold?

I usually change my oil in the morning before I drive my truck. I happened to be looking something up on Toyota.com and saw instructions for changing oil.

I took a peak and the directions said to run the car/truck to normal temp, then wait 1/2 hour and then change the oil.

I would think you would want to change it cold that way ALL(besides oil filter) the oil would be in the pan. To me the other way doesn't make sense.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
Warm because the oil is warm and thinner and non sticks to the pan when draining out
Old 05-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalofan View Post
I usually change my oil in the morning before I drive my truck. I happened to be looking something up on Toyota.com and saw instructions for changing oil.

I took a peak and the directions said to run the car/truck to normal temp, then wait 1/2 hour and then change the oil.

I would think you would want to change it cold that way ALL(besides oil filter) the oil would be in the pan. To me the other way doesn't make sense.
In my very simple terms, cold oil doesn't flow good. When the oil is warm it will empty better. Does that make any sense? Sometimes I confuse myself!!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer to change it cold. I leave my Taco parked for a couple hours to let all the oil drain to the pan, and also it allows time for the oil filter to drain.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #5

I don't seem to have a problem with the flow, it comes out pretty quick as it is. I would just think you are not getting all the oil out since it has just lubricated the engine.

Also the filters nowadays have it where it keeps oil in them, which sucks because the filter on the 2001 has a horrible location being pointed up and then you have to turn it on its side to make it fit in order to get it out.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Warm is probably better for easier flow... BTW, WTH is th is posted in the Tacoma Videos forum?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You don't necessarily want it at 'running temp' - as the oil will be scorching hot. 30 minutes is only long enough to allow the oil to drain down into the pan....the oil will still be pretty damn hot even after 30 minutes.

Generally, I'll run the truck for a few minutes and then wait about 30 minutes for it to drain. The oil is luke warm and easier to handle.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Warm is probably better for easier flow... BTW, WTH is th is posted in the Tacoma Videos forum?
It's posted here because I am an idiot. I was on my way to a different forum when something caught my eye. Then I forgot and thought I was in the forum I was initially going to and posted the thread.

Thanks for pointing it out...
Old 05-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I was always told change it HOT because by then all the viscous slippiest characteristics of the old oil are in order..so that it will more readily all drop to the pan and out the hole
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
I change mine at normal operating temps. I do my oil changes at work so I drive 20 miles to work the park the truck, get my filter wrench, drain pan, new oil and filter out, then get under the car and pull the plug. The oil is definitely hot, but you just gotta get the plug out fast
Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
I change mine at normal operating temps. I do my oil changes at work so I drive 20 miles to work the park the truck, get my filter wrench, drain pan, new oil and filter out, then get under the car and pull the plug. The oil is definitely hot, but you just gotta get the plug out fast
you got that right!!!

when the oil is hot(or warm for those who dont like burned fingers), best time to change it because all the real dirty oil comes out then....doesnt settle like it does when its cold.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #12

I guess I will be changing it when its hot/warm for now on.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You don't necessarily want it at 'running temp' - as the oil will be scorching hot. 30 minutes is only long enough to allow the oil to drain down into the pan....the oil will still be pretty damn hot even after 30 minutes.

Generally, I'll run the truck for a few minutes and then wait about 30 minutes for it to drain. The oil is luke warm and easier to handle.
This has always worked for me. I'm also actually looking forward to the next change to see how the Fumoto valve works at keeping the hot oil off the arm on that last twist of the drain plug.
Ended up dropping the plug in the hot oil because of that more than once.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Nocturnall is on a distinguished road
Nocturnall's Tacoma Gallery
I usually dump half a quart of fresh oil in the fill hole to flush out any crap on the bottom of the pan and do my changes when it's cold. I really don't like working on a truck with hot exhaust, lines, everything then super hot oil.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnall View Post
I usually dump half a quart of fresh oil in the fill hole to flush out any crap on the bottom of the pan and do my changes when it's cold. I really don't like working on a truck with hot exhaust, lines, everything then super hot oil.
The contaminates in the oil settle when the engine is cold. By running a 1/2 quart into the engine and out the pan, the oil is mearly running over the conaminated oil and out the drain hole without takeing any contaminated oil with it. Best thing to do is change oil when engine is at or near opperating temp. I use some long welding gloves that I put a rubber coating on. I belive the coating I used is called "Plasti dip". I have yet to be burned when changing my oil.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
oil change

The idea that all the oil is coming out hot or cold is not correct. About 10 percent of the oil is stuck in ports and the pump and recesses in the heads and cam phazers. The trick is to change the oil at regular intervals. If you do a lot of stop and go, change it more often. When oil isnt operated at temp very long (lack of highway time) it tends to accumulate moisture and blowby gasses (acidic). Good oil keeps this stuff from taking out bearings and varnishing parts. We run amsoil in a top-stock motor and every year wonder if we realy need bearings when we re-build. Aside from rod stretch, the internals are always mint. I recomend synthetic lubricants to anyone interested in keeping an engine tight. Mobil-1 is a good product. To go above that, Amsoil,royal purple, redline or any of the high end synthetics. If you can find it BG is also a great synthetic.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsworth View Post
The idea that all the oil is coming out hot or cold is not correct. About 10 percent of the oil is stuck in ports and the pump and recesses in the heads and cam phazers. The trick is to change the oil at regular intervals. If you do a lot of stop and go, change it more often. When oil isnt operated at temp very long (lack of highway time) it tends to accumulate moisture and blowby gasses (acidic). Good oil keeps this stuff from taking out bearings and varnishing parts. We run amsoil in a top-stock motor and every year wonder if we realy need bearings when we re-build. Aside from rod stretch, the internals are always mint. I recomend synthetic lubricants to anyone interested in keeping an engine tight. Mobil-1 is a good product. To go above that, Amsoil,royal purple, redline or any of the high end synthetics. If you can find it BG is also a great synthetic.
Good info!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
+2!!! Hey Ell-what do you think about "MOC" oil additive? Been using it since my truck was new. Toyota here carries it so I'm assuming it's good stuff??
Old 05-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Nocturnall is on a distinguished road
Nocturnall's Tacoma Gallery
On the topic of amsoil anyone tried the 25k mile/ 1 yr filter they have? Anyone go extended oil change intervals with full synthetic oil?
Old 05-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnall View Post
On the topic of amsoil anyone tried the 25k mile/ 1 yr filter they have? Anyone go extended oil change intervals with full synthetic oil?
i wouldnt ever go that long on an oil filter no matter how good the oil and filter supposedly are. every 5k with me......running pennzoil platinum and mobil1 filter.

peace of mind for me anyway.