Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Wiring help? LED Strips

Old 04-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring help? LED Strips

Got some LED strips for lighting, saying to wire into a 12v source. I want to wire them so they come on with the parking lights and head lights, but are off when all the other lights are off. The problem is, I don't know jack shit about wiring anything.

How could I wire the LED lights to go on with the parking and head lights off?

I know I sound stupid but I don't care, I don't pretend to know anything about electrical stuff...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
you just need switched power
Old 04-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
kingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kingtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Got some LED strips for lighting, saying to wire into a 12v source. I want to wire them so they come on with the parking lights and head lights, but are off when all the other lights are off. The problem is, I don't know jack shit about wiring anything.

I know I sound stupid but I don't care, I don't pretend to know anything about electrical stuff...
How many wires are on the l.e.d. strip?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Name: Caleb
xSpyderguyx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Man, from years of car audio experience. And I know lighting is completely different. I do not recomend going in blind and resorting to a forum to do somthing.

Dont get me wrong, TW is awesome if you have somewhat of an idea. But you'd need relays, wires, etc. Maybe ask a friend? Go to a auto shop?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
The led lights should have a hot wire and ground wire. The ground should be easy (black wires) , find a steady hot wire , make sure to use a fuse link , and mount you a switch , run the hot wire to the switch , then from the switch to the lights , that way you can cut them on/off at anytime. Should be really simple , if your unsure about finding a hot and ground (cigarette lighter) you can run the hot and ground all the way to the battery , but it takes time and you want to keep the wires from your motor and you'll have to find/make a small hole under your dash! Will be real simple , Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtaco View Post
How many wires are on the l.e.d. strip?
2, one power, one ground.

I hooked it directly to the battery to see how bright the lights looked, and I think there sweet.

Could I splice the wire into the parking lights (which wire is that) so they come on only when the parking lights are on?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #8

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Under the headlights, similar to how Audi Headlights are.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #9
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Under the headlights, similar to how Audi Headlights are.
Inside the headlight housing?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Post some pics. But yea you should be able to slice into the parking light wire for your power but that would keep them on with the headlights.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #12

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Post some pics. But yea you should be able to slice into the parking light wire for your power.
Which wire is the one for the parking light? I can just ground the lights and splice into the parking light and all will be well? Thats my goal.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Which wire is the one for the parking light? I can just ground the lights and splice into the parking light and all will be well? Thats my goal.
I THINK, key word think, that you slice into one of the wires going to farthest away connector which is the one going to the parking lights.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
turn all your lights on, and find the wire harness that leads to the light that is to the right of the headlight. Unravel the tape and take out the wires from the split wire loom. Splice into those wires.

It will look similar to this!:

Also, take your butt to radio shack and buy some quick splices. Use them, they make it painless to splice into wires. No tools are required.

Here is what they look like.

When you're all done make sure you tape up the splices or buy some 2" split wire loom and wrap the loom around your splices and then seal them with tape. You will hate yourself if you allow water to corrode your spliced wires.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
automatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shedautomatcentral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

automatcentral's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Have you made any progress with the installation of these? A number of us are waiting for your final review.