Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Auto tranny to Manual tranny

Old 04-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Auto tranny to Manual tranny

Has anyone with an 05+ Tacoma done a automatic transmission conversion to a manual transmission? If not does anyone know of any threads? I'm looking specifically for 05+. I have read multiple threads that deal with older Tacoma's but I'm not too sure if anything changes between the different generations.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Anyone have any info?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
ellocodetroit will become famous soon enoughellocodetroit will become famous soon enough

Name: Detroit
ellocodetroit's Tacoma Gallery
I converted my old auto Honda Civic to a manual tranny about 4 yrs ago. It was a pita. Im sure you will need at least the following:

manual tranny ECU
clutch pedal
master and slave cluch cylinder
manual tranny
tranny mounts(if the manual tranny does not mount with existing auto mounts)
maybe a subframe????
manual shifter
you will need to wire the reverse light to work right
cruise control might need to be rewired
keys need to be refalashed with new ECU
manual tranny wiring harness
cut a hole on the firewall for the clutch pedal
24 pack of beer
advil
band aids
and patience

It's a whole lot of work, which I do not recommend. I have no experience on a transmission swap for a Tacoma. I sure it's about 75-80% the same. Honestly you will be better off buying a manul transmission truck or have a shop do the swap for you. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
The best (only) plan is to sell your truck and buy one with a manual trans.

Sure, it would be a fun challenge I guess, but besides the tremendous costs involved, it's going to be complicated and will most likely always have problems/issues afterwards.

To give you an idea of what all might be involved:

- Transmission unit
- Driveshaft bushings
- Radiator
- Engine manifold
- Driveshaft (I believe the manual and auto have different lengths)
- Transmission mounting plate
- Linkage components
- Pedal assembly
- EGR valve
- Vacuum modulator
- Gear ratio (different on auto then manual)
- Sensors and rewiring

OK, that's just me getting started.. this list would be freakishly long.