Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Breathers,Diff,transfer,Transmission

Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Breathers,Diff,transfer,Transmission

I did the rear differential breather today. Easy Mod. Went to check the Transfer case and transmission breathers to see where they are at and how high up on the truck they are. On my 04 Tacoma the transmission breather is not running up higher, its right on top of the transmission.

Here is the Differential breather that I put in behind the left rear tail light
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...eathers005.jpg

Here is the transmission case breather on top of case up by shift
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...eathers002.jpg

And the other breather on the transmission is also on top of the case. You cant see it because of the angle and how close it is to the floor board by the shifters
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...eathers001.jpg

The breathers are just like the one on top of the Diff,except they are molded into the transmission case. Which means you have to attach the hose to the top piece after you remove the cap.
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...eathers004.jpg

Here is the point of this post. The transmission on a 04 Tacoma Does not come from the factory with the breather raised up, at least not all of them? I will need to access the top of these cases from inside the cab buy pulling off the shifter boots and the cover to get at the top of the cases. There were a lot of posts that said these case breathers were already raised up. There are two breathers under the Hood probably going to Frt Diff and transfer case. But the ones I found on top of the transmission will need to be moved or water will come in thru them.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, thats strange. My front diff/transfer case breathers are under the hood on the drivers side wheel well. NOt sure about the tranny.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
The breathers I am seeing are on top of the cases right where the shift levers come thru

What I have read the frt diff, transfer and trans have breathers up high. I have a breather on each shift lever cover on the transmission
I see the breathers on the fender well but I am seeing breathers that do not have hoses on them

here is a picture on another engine that may be showing the breathers

I plan to pull the cover off the shift levers and take a better look and run these vents up higher. Will get pictures if I can of the top of the trans and transfer.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #4

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
So I am answering my own questions, I get Rep for that

Those are breathers on top of the transmission. I took off the shifter covers and there are two breathers on top of the trans. They do not screw out. I had to use the existing fitting and hook hoses up to them. These breathers are cast in.

I ran fuel hose into a Tee and then ran this up to the firewall and put a breather above the frt diff and transfer breather. The shinny parts are the breathers after I pulled the caps off the breathers. I attached the fuel hose to these pieces. Be sure to get the hose on flush so it doesn not come off. These fittings are not ideal but it's what I had to deal with since they did not have the Hex head that the Rear diff breathers have

the hoses are hooked up

Routing

I mounted the new breather behind the battery/fuse box
Old 05-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #6

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
So if you have done the rear diff breather you are only good for water crossings that are below the top of the transmission unless you raise the transmission breathers.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #7

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
im curious, does the auto have a breather or is it a sealed unit?
Not sure you would need to look under the truck or look at the FSM. There was some info out on my manual trans that it had a breather up to the inner fender well, that was not true.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #8

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a pic of a breather that came off the Rear diff. The two that came off the top of the Transmission I had to pull the top cap off with pliers and then hook the fuel hose to the portion that was remaining.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Jahwn is on a distinguished road

Jahwn's Tacoma Gallery
I'm about to do the rear diff, and was hoping to find more info on these other breathers for the tranny and front diff.
Good info and pics, thanks for posting.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #10

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I was surprised to find that the breathers were not elevated on the transmission. I don't understand why Toyota would do it for the transfer case and not the transmission
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #11

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Why would Toyota put two breathers on the transmission? The rear and front diffs have one breather each.The transfer case has one breather. Why two on the transmission and why not elevate these breathers on the transmission. The transfer case right behind it is installed with a elevated breather( I saw a hose coming off the transfer case, I did not check where it routed to, but I assume it goes under the hood on the wheel well).
Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
The ones on the drivers side under the hood that are extended some from the factory are the front diff and the front actuator for 4x4. I traced these yesterday as I extended them up beside brake fluid reservoir
Old 05-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #13

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I appreaciate the feedback.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #14

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Went out today to check the hoses to make sure every thing was the way I left it. Noticed that the breather hose on the front of the transmission is kinked possibly blocking air flow. The front breather on the transmission is higher up on the transmission . So the hose has to make a tight bend to miss the floor board. To keep it from kinking I inserted a stiff smaller tube inside the bigger tube. This worked.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Sub'd, because the smell of oil coming up through my boots is driving me insane. Really hoping the relocate will take care of it. (Just need some warmer weather up here in frosty New England..)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
gusotto
gusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: 3rd class Sonar Tech. Surface (STG3)
Name: Gary
gusotto's Tacoma Gallery
Info on this link helped me.
I've been smelling what seemed to be "sewing machine oil" after being in 4WD, only at times.
Guess when the weather gets warm I'll have to check out breather hoses.
Too cold today. -7 so it'll wait until spring.