Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

DIY: Leather Interior

Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 AM   #121
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
A steamer will help w any wrinkles. The wrinkles come out over time as well. I'm going on 3 months and I can tell little by little the one area that bothered me, rear part of lower seat corners, is getting more and more smoothed out.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #122
TacosNBurritos is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
TacosNBurritos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
A steamer will help w any wrinkles. The wrinkles come out over time as well. I'm going on 3 months and I can tell little by little the one area that bothered me, rear part of lower seat corners, is getting more and more smoothed out.
Thanks. Other than the tools shown and listed in the beginning is there any other items recommended to make the installation easier better?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #123
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

B737's Tacoma Gallery
Hi nick,
Yes, if ur willing to spend the cash get a good set of ring cutters like the ones I photo'd in my thread. They are compound action and made things much easier compared to the regular cutters I was using before. (In addition to the other tools listed which isn't much)

The ones I got from Home Depot are made by dewalt.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post5840885
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #125
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for future referance. Great tutorial!! Thanks much!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #126
Doug86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Doug
Doug86's Tacoma Gallery
Leather seats

After reading your detailed post, I now have to have leather seats. I have done the armrests and need seats. The only question I have and I might have missed it in your post, where did you get the leather covers from? I really like it with the TRD logo embroidered.
Thanks again,
Doug
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #127
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
After reading your detailed post, I now have to have leather seats. I have done the armrests and need seats. The only question I have and I might have missed it in your post, where did you get the leather covers from? I really like it with the TRD logo embroidered.
Thanks again,
Doug
I purchased my kit from CST clearance list, but the best source for a kit here would be Jhuey...
Check out this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html
Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #128
Doug86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Doug
Doug86's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you
Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #130
sherstcp is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Federal
Name: Calvin
sherstcp's Tacoma Gallery
Homer help!

Hey guys,

I've posted on another topic asking advice on the front headrest install. I received two options: use a shop vac to suck all the air out or a steamer. I'll try the steamer route first cuz those front headrests are INSANE.

NOW, next issue. I finished the back seats without much issue and they look pretty sweet. Problem is, the seat belt clip/retainer is being a bitch to go back on. Can someone #1, remind me what direction it goes on and #2, how the HELL does it clip on? The plastic sewn on the under side of the hole is far more flimsy than the stock piece, so I get zero purchase with the clip. ADVICE??

I have attached pics to visually explain.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Leather Interior-image.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #131
wont let me post more than one pic at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Old 04-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #132
Inner plastic
Attached Thumbnails
Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #134
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Great stuff man, but after reading that install, I'll be driving somewhere to have installed. No way in hell do I want to try to do that
Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #135
dcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dcdlexmass's Tacoma Gallery
Just a quick follow-up on the leather/heat seat install on my 2011 Double Cab TRD … Done!

For those who have also performed this upgrade, I feel your pain … Particularly in the fingers!!

Without “HomerTaco’s” pictorial guide I don’t believe this is something I would have even attempted …And I’ve done a ton of do-it-yourself projects.

Kept the budget as low as possible, $400.00 for the kit (shop around, they’re out there), $90.00 for the carbon seat heater kit (EBay, came with direct replacement Toyota switches) and 2-solid days of labor.

All told, right around $500.00 … saved approx. $500.00 in doing the install myself.

Went with standard light gray leather, no fancy stitching or2-tone. Kit also came with the leather door insert material (what a tedious pain in the a** job that was)

Actually worst part of entire project was getting the headrests closure seam strap secured … And having total (5) to do was a real headtrip. You will also need to use the “bag and wet & dry vacuum” trick to even get the covers over the front seat headrests.

Bottom line for me ….

1) Get a good pair of bull nose wire cutters to cutthe hog rings off.

2) Get a good solid desk height work bench to work on the seats; this will save your back.

3) Get an ample supply of nylon wire ties,invaluable in some areas where the seat kit lacks.

4) I used the “X” cut method instead of removing the head rest seat posts, front seats nearly impossible to remove inserts.

5) Take your time, there’s a lot of sharp sheetmetal that’s under the seat foam.

6) Read this post and others regarding leather and heater install best to know what you’re getting into before ever getting there.

7) Have lots of beer and good music on tap!!!!

Good luck to all who take on this project …. It’s certainly worth tackling.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Leather Interior-01.jpg   DIY: Leather Interior-02.jpg   DIY: Leather Interior-03.jpg   DIY: Leather Interior-04.jpg  
Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #136
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdlexmass View Post
Just a quick follow-up on the leather/heat seat install on my 2011 Double Cab TRD … Done!

For those who have also performed this upgrade, I feel your pain … Particularly in the fingers!!

Without “HomerTaco’s” pictorial guide I don’t believe this is something I would have even attempted …And I’ve done a ton of do-it-yourself projects.

Kept the budget as low as possible, $400.00 for the kit (shop around, they’re out there), $90.00 for the carbon seat heater kit (EBay, came with direct replacement Toyota switches) and 2-solid days of labor.

All told, right around $500.00 … saved approx. $500.00 in doing the install myself.

Went with standard light gray leather, no fancy stitching or2-tone. Kit also came with the leather door insert material (what a tedious pain in the a** job that was)

Actually worst part of entire project was getting the headrests closure seam strap secured … And having total (5) to do was a real headtrip. You will also need to use the “bag and wet & dry vacuum” trick to even get the covers over the front seat headrests.

Bottom line for me ….

1) Get a good pair of bull nose wire cutters to cutthe hog rings off.

2) Get a good solid desk height work bench to work on the seats; this will save your back.

3) Get an ample supply of nylon wire ties,invaluable in some areas where the seat kit lacks.

4) I used the “X” cut method instead of removing the head rest seat posts, front seats nearly impossible to remove inserts.

5) Take your time, there’s a lot of sharp sheetmetal that’s under the seat foam.

6) Read this post and others regarding leather and heater install best to know what you’re getting into before ever getting there.

7) Have lots of beer and good music on tap!!!!

Good luck to all who take on this project …. It’s certainly worth tackling.
Looking great!
Good tips as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #137
Throbbing Member

B737's Tacoma Gallery
NICE JOB DCD!
hands down the mod you will enjoy the most. i wouldnt have my truck any other way.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #138
dcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the sheddcdlexmass is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dcdlexmass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hands down the mod you will enjoy the most
Would have to agree ... Having a cloth interior in any truck that one uses for work and or recreation makes little sense to me.
Though the factory covers were comfortable, keeping them clean (especially those arm rests!) was getting to be a full time job!
The heated seat pads will also be a "warm welcome" during the cold winter months as well.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #139
Homer you rock

HOMER!!!! You rock brother. Finally finished my front passenger seat and back seats. Wow the front seats are a PITA!!!!!! Worth it though....one more to go
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #140
tonyjr82 is on a distinguished road
Army: Finance Officer
Name: Tony
tonyjr82's Tacoma Gallery
Amazing write-up Homer. Can't wait to get back home and do this!