LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

K&N Air Filter

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Buffalofan is on a distinguished road

Buffalofan's Tacoma Gallery
K&N Air Filter

I put on the K&N Air filter last year. When I start the truck it seems to be much more noise and I believe it's from the filter. I don't seem to notice it when I am driving. Is that just the way it sounds because more air is getting through?

Does anyone else have/hear this? I just want to be sure it's not an issue.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Totally normal to hear it more at idle, the sound gets quieter during normal accelleration and a loud bellow at hard throttle. All the result of more air flow
Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #3

Thanks!! I really only hear it on idle when I start the truck. Good to know it's normal.

I wonder why I don't hear it on my RAV4?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
sixonthefloor is on a distinguished road

Navy: Pettey Officer First Class
sixonthefloor's Tacoma Gallery
Probaly the design of the intake on the Rav4 is quieter because because it's more like a car and not a truck. IE unibody, independant suspention, ect. People buy cars and expect them to be quiet.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

True that, Six- but he's probably hearing it more in the Tacoma cause it's sucking more air being a V-6. Also, I dont know about the newer trucks like yours, Six, but mine and Buffalo's air intake runs from the airbox up where the filter is, inside the fender on the passengerside, and runs clear back to about where the radio antenna is located>>they do this to make sure you get the coolest shot of air possible (as far away from engine heat as possible) Buffalo, if you go round and open the passenger door you'll REALLY hear that air suckin!!!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #7

Hey no sorrie man you are RIGHT! He has a brand new Rav-4 and I'm sure they add more in the sound deadening dept
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #9

Yeah I think he may have that cause he has the sport model. I think he hears it more from what I described in his 2001 air intake layout
Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
True that, Six- but he's probably hearing it more in the Tacoma cause it's sucking more air being a V-6. Also, I dont know about the newer trucks like yours, Six, but mine and Buffalo's air intake runs from the airbox up where the filter is, inside the fender on the passengerside, and runs clear back to about where the radio antenna is located>>they do this to make sure you get the coolest shot of air possible (as far away from engine heat as possible) Buffalo, if you go round and open the passenger door you'll REALLY hear that air suckin!!!!!

Ha ha...you're not kidding. When the wife gets in and opens the door it is super loud. Seems you hit that nail right on the head Ridgerunner.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #11

Glad when I can help!!

Products Discussed in this Thread