Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

brake issues (I think)

Old 05-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
dmac is on a distinguished road
dmac's Tacoma Gallery
Question brake issues (I think)

hello,I'm a new member and what a great site. I'm new to toyota. Wanted this truck for a while. Brought it up from Arizona. I have had domestics all my life. Only issue I have is the rocking back and forth when I touch the brakes. If I stop and release the pedal just a little and then hit it, the truck rocks forward. Same in reverse. I had the front shocks replaced due to a leak on the drivers side, and the rear springs seem a little flat for an 2002.Other than the typical complaints ie. dash rattles and clock location, the truck is great.Thanks for the help
Old 05-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome dmac! Get some pics here so we can see that cool truck!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
ellsworth is on a distinguished road
ellsworth's Tacoma Gallery
brakes

the brakes stop the wheels/tires/hubs. So in theory if there is some driveline slop or play it will rock a tiny bit if you massage the brakes. sounds normal to me.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
dmac is on a distinguished road
dmac's Tacoma Gallery
brakes issue

Thanks for the reply ellsworth but the more I explore the site I believe the problem may lie in the rear springs. If I touch the brakes the truck rocks more than I believe it should. I have had trucks for 35 years and I've never rocked like this before. I thought maybe the rear braked we not engaging but that has been eliminated. I guess if the springs are weak it may cause the rocking motion.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2001 and I replac
ed all the shocks AND the rear leafs cause I felt it getting sloppy at 5 yrs old
Old 05-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
rear springs sound like they are worn out......get new springs or a helper spring.....should take care of the problem.