Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

LSD Rear Diff Oil - Amsoil users please!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
LSD Rear Diff Oil - Amsoil users please!

Yeah I know....I did search and found varying info. I'm bored, so I thought i'd post a new one.

I'm shooting towards using Amsoil Severe Gear in the tacoma (mechanical) LSD.

The reason for going this route, is because we have it in our Vette LSD rear and our neiphews corvette LSD rear and its been flawless.

I've been reading - it's a hit or miss - some folks are fine while other folks need additional Amsoil slip lock additive.

What's your experience?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My buddy used it in his GTO. It worked fine for about a week but he ended up needing the additive because the diff started chattering.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Yeah I know....I did search and found varying info. I'm bored, so I thought i'd post a new one.

I'm shooting towards using Amsoil Severe Gear in the tacoma (mechanical) LSD.

The reason for going this route, is because we have it in our Vette LSD rear and our neiphews corvette LSD rear and its been flawless.

I've been reading - it's a hit or miss - some folks are fine while other folks need additional Amsoil slip lock additive.

What's your experience?
try it but be prepared to drain it the same day. So have 80W-90 with additive handy just in case.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
try it but be prepared to drain it the same day. So have 80W-90 with additive handy just in case.
Did you use the Amsoil Severe Gear in your truck? Or are you just repeating what you've read online?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you use the Amsoil Severe Gear in your truck? Or are you just repeating what you've read online?
I tried every synthetic i could get my hands on including Amsoil with various results. Some oils had no chattering for 3 months then went Grrrrrr which sucked others went Grrr right after the oil change so got replaced the same day. I think I had done atleast 12 oil changes on my diff at this point. But Yesterday I found secret weapon which I will be trying very soon. If that works and Data sheet numbers match regular oil it may be a lucky strike.
My problem is this.
Running regular diff oil sucks since temperature of the diff is off the chart and at the flash point of regular oils. Synthetics drop temperature a lot but you can not use it with out Grrrr sound. I am hoping at one point I will score right synthetic + additive combination that will work year round.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
I tried every synthetic i could get my hands on including Amsoil with various results. Some oils had no chattering for 3 months then went Grrrrrr which sucked others went Grrr right after the oil change so got replaced the same day. I think I had done atleast 12 oil changes on my diff at this point. But Yesterday I found secret weapon which I will be trying very soon. If that works and Data sheet numbers match regular oil it may be a lucky strike.
My problem is this.
Running regular diff oil sucks since temperature of the diff is off the chart and at the flash point of regular oils. Synthetics drop temperature a lot but you can not use it with out Grrrr sound. I am hoping at one point I will score right synthetic + additive combination that will work year round.
When you were getting chattering or Grrr....did you add more friction modifier? Or did you just drain everything and start over?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
same problem with 07. keep the info flowing guys. I'm getting ready to try a GL-5 fluid from Napa with additive. both made by CRC. we'll see.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #9

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When you were getting chattering or Grrr....did you add more friction modifier? Or did you just drain everything and start over?
added 12 oz of additive then just drained over, same story for almost everything.
Honestly I have a strange feeling that oil is nto the issue its the LSD additive they use with oil that its a problem. There are multiple additives so I am wondering that maybe what oil producers add is the wrong kind for our LSD and what we need more then dino vs synthetic is a oil that has no factory additive in it. Airun asked me what oil I am thinking and I did post replay to him but I will post here too. I found Mobil Delvac 80W-140 which is gear, synthetic for the trucks (18 wheelers). The bottle I saw had no LSD additive in it so thats the plan. Over the weekend I am going to stop by GM and pick up additive then dump Delvac in the diff and see how it goes. Worst comes to worst I will change it again to regular oil.