1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1 or 2 wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Vege-Taco, May 22, 2008.

1. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
  2. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    You're the confused one. Read the assumptions again. This is for single wheel loss of traction in 2gen Tacomas. Two locked axles on a 2nd gen taco - one wheel with loss of traction = 3 wheels driving the truck all with full torque.

Other situations will obviously be different. Just trying to break is down fast n easy for the OP. If he really wants to decode everything, he needs to learn more about the systems themselves and problem solve on the fly himself.

But I still <3 you. :p

3. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Assumptions hmmm? The only assumption I read was jumping to the juicy part(the list) would suffice. I guess I made an ass out of myself. :pout:

4. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Synthetic?

5. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Fuck it. Just weld it front and rear.

6. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    :woot: True 4wd donuts here I come

7. Dec 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

Nah fool, to the frame :p

That way you don't have to worry about the weak TRD OR rear end grenading...your axles will still stay on the truck!

8. Dec 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    hit the middle diff while you guys are at it :D

9. Dec 30, 2010 at 10:39 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    It would be fun to be able to make a cartoon showing the four tires each over differing surfaces (ie. traction or no traction) and/ or on the ground and in the air.

1) A 2WD open diff. would stop moving if one rear tire is in the air or in slush.

2) A 2WD limited slip diff. would slow or stop briefly until torque transfered to the traction tire. It's forward movement would depend on road conditions.

3) A 2WD locking diff. would continue rolling, unless the heavy front end was sunk into slush or sand.

4) A 4WD with open diffs. would stop moving only if one rear AND one front tire is in the air or slush. Engine weight over the front drive tires helps achieve traction.

5) A 4WD with limited slip (front and rear) would slow or stop briefly in slush as torque transfers to traction tires... it's ability to continue may be obstructed by steepness or traction since limited slip may not split torque equally giving enough power to the traction tires.

6) A 4WD with a rear locker and open front diff. will almost always get through or up hills beyond open differential 4WD. Both rear tires rotate equally, at least one front tire rotates if it has less traction than the other.

7) A 4WD with front and rear lockers or A-TRAC will have torque divided equally to each tire insuring forward progress... even if just one tire has traction and the other three are in slush or in the air (as in high centered).

10. Dec 31, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Winner ^^^^^
    :D

11. Dec 31, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

:rolleyes:

12. Dec 31, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    It is very funny post :D

13. Dec 31, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Yeah but its not locking action..
    Try it... put your truck on 20 degree incline all iced up. Then try driving up.
    if it was true what you saying all 4 wheels would rotate at exact same speed just like lockers do. And we know already that they will not because system needs one tire rolling for measurement.

14. Dec 31, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I find it humorous mainly because most of the grenaded diff reports I've seen have involved misuse of the diff. I'm still not of the persuasion the e-locked rear is any weaker than the non-locked. Yes, it's a smaller diameter, but they could've easily used a stronger metal alloy to offset that.

Until I talk to Toyota's engineers, I'm not making a call on that one.

15. Dec 31, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    First off, I never said 'exact same speed'... the A-TRAC will brake a loose tire to match a traction tire's rotation, if different... This distributes torque to both tires per axle, instead of just the loose one.

It is 'firmer' or 'stronger' at braking the tire than TRAC or limited slip does... and so provides the traction abilty of lockers... which ALSO match tire rotation across the axle... and yes lockers do so without any slippage or noise... but in the end, both vehicles get there.. and A-TRAC comes on our Off Road Tacomas at no extra cost... Front lockers do not.

Now, as far as seeing the tires rotate at the same speed in low traction conditions... I guess you haven't looked at the video clips in my thread on A-TRAC?: This one is an FJ with fully inflated tires... never gets stuck.. but you can easily see true four wheel drive working with A-TRAC on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VHxslTiQug&feature=player_embedded

16. Dec 31, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    been there, done that:eek:

17. Dec 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
  18. Dec 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    jeller317

jeller317 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 V6
    I appreciate everybodys input. Since my truck is just a daily driver I think I just need a LSD for the rear. That should help get up my driveway in the snow and stop that annoying spinning of the right rear in the rain. The only thing I've seen online is made by Eaton. They mention one with carbon fiber clutches and I think I read something about another one run with gears (seems like there would still be some kind of clutches in there somewhere). The cf one was on ebay for $499. Is that the best deal?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Dec 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

20. Dec 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Auburn gear also makes some. I haven't heard much about that Eaton.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top