Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How do you check the ATF in the 5 speed automatic?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
Spillwaybob is on a distinguished road
Spillwaybob's Tacoma Gallery
How do you check the ATF in the 5 speed automatic?

My 2008 Taco V-6 5 speed auto does not have the conventional dipstick for the trans. How do you check and/or add oil to the transmission? Thanks for your help.
Spillwaybob
Old 05-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
I believe its one of those deals where you have to take it to the dealer.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Well, that sucks!

On the bottom of the transmission pan there is a plug marked "check" and probably when you remove this, the oil will run out until it gets the proper level but where do you put oil in?
Spillwaybob
Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It's somewhat complicated - from what I've read.

It's VERY important you get the tranny up to proper operating temperatures before you check it.

If you click here:
http://www.markass.com/toyotanation/

Click on "2005 tacoma a750e" (2nd one)

You'll be prompted with an OPEN or SAVE box.....

Scroll down to where it says "aft inspection 1gr fe.pdf"

It's probably better off to take it to the dealer and have them check it. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it while it's still under warrantee.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Thanks, Janster for the information. It's hard to understand why Toyota made this so complicated. My truck had the radiator replaced due to an accident and the Toyota Body Shop didn't top up the ATF and told me to take it to the dealer which I did. It cost the body shop $125 to perform this proceedure and top up the oil. Glad I didn't have to pay for it. Thanks again for the information.
Spillwaybob
Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
carlos chavez is on a distinguished road
carlos chavez's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2005 prerunner and I'had the tranni changed after 41000 mls on it, cause it was shifting roughly on 1st and 2nd gear the dealer changed it no questions asked, so I found out talking to the technician at Toyota that the transmision has to be level there is plug w/the letters WS fill it up until it spills over, almost the same as changing the oil on your differential, be careful to make sure there is oil in it or else
Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos chavez View Post
I have a 2005 prerunner and I'had the tranni changed after 41000 mls on it, cause it was shifting roughly on 1st and 2nd gear the dealer changed it no questions asked, so I found out talking to the technician at Toyota that the transmision has to be level there is plug w/the letters WS fill it up until it spills over, almost the same as changing the oil on your differential, be careful to make sure there is oil in it or else
It's very very important that the tranny is 'up to temp'........you can't just crack open the fill hole and top it off.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
On transmissions with dipsticks, there is a HOT level and a COLD level so if you get the Taco 5-speed up to normal operating temperature, I would think that adding oil until it runs out of the level plug would be pretty close to correct. It's hard to believe that the exact level is that critical and Toyota's proceedure for checking sounds like a lot of hype and an attempt to keep the do-it-youself guy from doing what should be a simple job. My two cents.
Spillwaybob
Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillwaybob View Post
On transmissions with dipsticks, there is a HOT level and a COLD level so if you get the Taco 5-speed up to normal operating temperature, I would think that adding oil until it runs out of the level plug would be pretty close to correct. It's hard to believe that the exact level is that critical and Toyota's proceedure for checking sounds like a lot of hype and an attempt to keep the do-it-youself guy from doing what should be a simple job. My two cents.
Spillwaybob
I agree with you. I have been searching for a few weeks now on how to check/ service these new trannys, and everything I find seems to point me back to the dealership.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
ebnash is on a distinguished road
ebnash's Tacoma Gallery
I callled a few different dealerships and got the following information:

If you tow with your truck, have it serviced every 30,000-45,000 miles.

Otherwise, they consider the ATF to be lifetime and tranny does not need service. However, all of the dealerships suggested I bring the vehicle in at 100,000 miles to have it flushed and replaced.

There is no documented service interval unless you tow???
Old 06-08-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Taco because I grew weary of maintance.
Let the dealer worry. He sees it every 5.000.